• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rusty cellar find

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A neighbor just gave me what looks to be an antique percussion smooth bore. It has 1863 stamped on top of the barrel and VP with some other symbols stamped on the side. The lock works. The stock looks like some sort of oiled hardwood. There is steel butt plate. The steel is pitted. What is the best way or what materials do I need to attempt to bring it back to life? Thanks

A neighbor just gave me what looks to be an antique percussion smooth bore. It has 1863 stamped on top of the barrel and VP with some other symbols stamped on the side. The lock works. The stock looks like some sort of oiled hardwood. There is steel butt plate. The steel is pitted. What is the best way or what materials do I need to attempt to bring it back to life? Thanks
For what you have explained it looks like Indian musket from one of their arsenal's of a Maharajah , a image would help
Feltwad

Sounds like a 1861 or 1863 Springfield Rifle. With the very shallow rifling, the bore will look like a smoothbore when old and rusty.

20181130_180644.jpg
20181130_180644.jpg

I can add more photos now that I know how to do it. My neighbor that gave it to me is 85. He said his uncle who fought in WW1 gave it to him. SN. His uncle succumbed to mustard gas damage to his lungs at a "fairly young age"
Should I try to resuscitate the smooth bore?

It's not loaded. I checked. I don't know what internal rust damage there may be but I would love to get it back in the woods. I have not much knowledge in the work or materials necessary to begin this project.

Since it's not a flint I'm going to clean it up and hang it. I'll pass it on with an interesting story to the family. I hate to see these fall into disrepair so I'll do what I can.

It's a type 1 1863 Springfield rifle-musket that has had the stock cut down. It's possible the barrel has been shortened and smoothbored as well. A lot of these were made into shotguns by Bannerman and others after the Civil War. The original barrel length was 40" and would have been .58 caliber with 3 equal width lands and groves. These were quite shallow and as Rat said would be difficult to see if the bore was rusted. VP with an eagle on the barrel is a view proof and 1863 was the date of manufacture. The lock will be stamped with a date and the manufacturer's name too. It could be Springfield or one of the many contractors who manufactured these arms. The stocks were American black walnut. It looks like the lug for the rear sling swivel has been filed off the trigger guard and the rear sight has been removed with the dovetail and screw hole filled. I have restored worse than that to original configuration and shooting condition.

A "Sod Buster"shotgun.
As Hawkeye2 has explained, this was a way to turn surplus muzzle loading guns into a very inexpensive and adequate shotgun. These were sold to persons travelling west and along with farmers and other pioneers in the post civil war era.
I have a copy of a 1900 Sears and Roebuck catalog where these guns are listed at the reasonable price of $1.65.
A perfect inexpensive farm gum or a first shotgun for a youth. Even as today., people were looking for bargain.
I had relatives that were using these same type of guns in the depression era. Loose powder and Shot cost pennies. Shells cost money.
Hope this helps.

It's a type 1 1863 Springfield rifle-musket that has had the stock cut down. It's possible the barrel has been shortened and smoothbored as well. A lot of these were made into shotguns by Bannerman and others after the Civil War. The original barrel length was 40" and would have been .58 caliber with 3
It's a type 1 1863 Springfield rifle-musket that has had the stock cut down. It's possible the barrel has been shortened and smoothbored as well. A lot of these were made into shotguns by Bannerman and others after the Civil War. The original barrel length was 40" and would have been .58 caliber with 3 equal width lands and groves. These were quite shallow and as Rat said would be difficult to see if the bore was rusted. VP with an eagle on the barrel is a view proof and 1863 was the date of manufacture. The lock will be stamped with a date and the manufacturer's name too. It could be Springfield or one of the many contractors who manufactured these arms. The stocks were American black walnut. It looks like the lug for the rear sling swivel has been filed off the trigger guard and the rear sight has been removed with the dovetail and screw hole filled. I have restored worse than that to original configuration and shooting condition.
Thank you. What in your opinion should I do with it and How? Do I take it apart and soak it in something? What about the bore? Can it be brushed or scraped wit something? Should I replace the nipple or is that not a consideration? Is there a book I can buy that helps explain as my skills are limited to load, shoot and clean an already functioning gun.
equal width lands and groves. These were quite shallow and as Rat said would be difficult to see if the bore was rusted. VP with an eagle on the barrel is a view proof and 1863 was the date of manufacture. The lock will be stamped with a date and the manufacturer's name too. It could be Springfield or one of the many contractors who manufactured these arms. The stocks were American black walnut. It looks like the lug for the rear sling swivel has been filed off the trigger guard and the rear sight has been removed with the dovetail and screw hole filled. I have restored worse than that to original configuration and shooting condition.

Last I knew, there was not a big collectors market for these.
I had a co worker who had one that had been in his family for generations. Well used and cleaned up that was hanging proudly on display in his den.
Not the belle of the ball, but a little clean up, she will still turn heads.

As Fire-Steel said there isn't any market for these and as is its value is minimal. I would guess $200-$300 if you found someone who really wanted one, half of that might be more realistic. If it were mine I would send the barrel to Hoyt, scrounge about in my parts box, pick up a preshaped forearm and make a shooter out of it. It probably would take $400 or a little more, depends on what I have stashed for parts, to take it from where it is to an original configuration excelent shooter. If the barrel isn't too bad you could probably get it shooting as is with some elbow grease, a new nipple (5/16-24) and possibly a new hammer (or repair that one). Unless you really need another project I suggest you get some nitrile gloves, WD-40 and 0000 steel wool and go to work. Keep the gun well saturated with the WD-40 and scrub away, both metal and wood, it won't hurt either. Clean off the residue including the small pieces of steel wool and hang it on the wall, you would be supprised how much better it will look with a few hours of cleaning. Kick back with an adult beverage and make up a good story.

As Fire-Steel said there isn't any market for these and as is its value is minimal. I would guess $200-$300 if you found someone who really wanted one, half of that might be more realistic. If it were mine I would send the barrel to Hoyt, scrounge about in my parts box, pick up a preshaped forearm and make a shooter out of it. It probably would take $400 or a little more, depends on what I have stashed for parts, to take it from where it is to an original configuration excelent shooter. If the barrel isn't too bad you could probably get it shooting as is with some elbow grease, a new nipple (5/16-24) and possibly a new hammer (or repair that one). Unless you really need another project I suggest you get some nitrile gloves, WD-40 and 0000 steel wool and go to work. Keep the gun well saturated with the WD-40 and scrub away, both metal and wood, it won't hurt either. Clean off the residue including the small pieces of steel wool and hang it on the wall, you would be supprised how much better it will look with a few hours of cleaning. Kick back with an adult beverage and make up a good story.
Thank you. Wool and WD in hand, beverage will wait at least until noon.

After you get it cleaned off may e shoot us a nice picture it two . Just to let us see the end product.

Back