• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rusty Bore....What to do?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim C

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a chance to pick up .50 cal TC Hawken for $75 that looks really great except for a rusty bore. What should I do? Maybe try to clean it first to get a good idea of how much damage has been done and hope that it might possibly be salvageable? Have it relined?.....or Rebored?....although I'd much rather not change bore size. Or just re-barrel it with another .50 cal drop in barrel???

It really depends on how bad rusty is. Clean it the best you can and shoot it. It way surprise you. Is it to the point of sever pitting? Either way for $75 if the other parts are good, you should come out ok.

jump on that deal. If the bore won't clean up a replacement barrel is easy to find.

I haven't seen it yet, but only talked to the present owner about it. Someone gave the rifle to him, but he says it looks almost new except for the bore. Would relining, if I have to, be the cheapest way out?

If I were to put a new replacement barrel on it I'd have pert near $400 in it after the initial cost, plus barrel and S&H. I certainly don't want to go that route.

Approx how much to reline, or re-bore, and who to do it? Like I said, I'd rather not change the bore size. I'm partial to the 50's :grin:

Bobby Hoyt, you'll get shooter for sure, I believe about $125.00. I suggest cleaning the main gunk and soaking for a week with molasses (diluted 7-1 in water) from the feed store (it eats rust) then scrub hard with brush and clean and shoot. You may end up with a very accurate .50 TC for $75.00!

I'm gonna try that, but the guy says he doesn't believe it to be salvageable. Is that "about $125" to reline, or re-bore? Either way that wouldn't be a bad price at all considering I'm getting the rifle for $75....Do you by any chance have Mr. Hoyt's contact info?

Try scrubbing the bore with either steel wool wrapped on an undersized brass bore brush or some 3M Scotch Brite on an undersized jag. Lube with oil and scour the full length of the bore evenly. If you find some minor pitting, don't worry, it still may shoot just fine. If yu have deep pitting, the next best bet is to have the bore relined. That will cost about $100. Even if you have to reline the bore, so long as everything else is in decent condition, you will still have a bargain on your hands.

Thanks B&P, that's exactly what I'll do. If I have to do anything else, to reline is the preferred route because I don't want to change the bore size. I suppose I can search for it on here and find Bobby Hoyt's P#. I know I've seen it on here before.

Put a mixture of molasses and water, one part molasses to 8 parts water in the barrel and let it soak for 2 to 3 days and it will eat the rust. Plug the nipple first and it will remove blueing eventually so keep it wiped off that. Sounds like someone shot the gun and put away uncleaned. It's common and unfortunate but happens.

I have some molasses and I'll certainly give it a shot and try my best to salvage it before moving on to the next step. Thanks a lot to all of you gentlemen for your input. :hatsoff:

Thanks for coming back with that. I had no idea regular molasses had sulphur in it.

Mr. Hoyt did mine two years ago. $125 plus shipping to re-bore a 50 cal to 1 in 66" .54 with radius groove rifling. Made a great shooter out of a badly pitted bore.

Thanks Hawgeye.....I'll be checking in with Mr. Hoyt here pretty soon if I need to.

IF everything else is A-OK...for $75 it would be worth the rest, easily! I've seen what looked like a roached out bore clean out pretty well, and shoot fine...I've seen what looked like just interior surface rust in a smoothie clean out revealing unsafe pitting...You never know until you clean AND test shoot it if you are uncertain. Nothing wrong with boring it out to a 28 bore and trying that, and then...if you just don't like it you can get your money out of it.

LD

Back