• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

rust

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi guys got a problem went shooting and fell and hurt my back ended up in hospital for 3 days in traction , rifle and pistol laid in car for week rusted up pretty.bad what to use to clean them that won't remove the blueing????

BAD rust Mollases and water 1-8 ratio soak 2 days (WILL remove blueing of it gets on it). Light rust, Kroil (never used it myself), WD-40 and steel wool? Hope yer doin better. Must be HUMID where you live. I have let several guns go several weks several times and zero rust. AZ (where the shade works).

BAD rust Mollases and water 1-8 ratio soak 2 days (WILL remove blueing of it gets on it). Light rust, Kroil (never used it myself), WD-40 and steel wool? Hope yer doin better. Must be HUMID where you live. I have let several guns go several weks several times and zero rust. AZ (where the shade works).
no humidity in the Mohave desert

I have a CVA muzzleloader barrel kit that the barrel has surface rust. I bought a couple of these Big 45 Frontier rust removing pads to remove the surface rust. The package says they are of an alloy that wil remove the rust but not the bluing. Maybe you can try these ??
Ohio Rusty ><>

Attachments

• Big 45 rust remover.JPG
    Big 45 rust remover.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 0
I have used the Big 45 pads now for several years on various guns. They work well but if you have any speckling or small pock mark pitting, that will remain.

I have found when using Kroil on rust over blue the Kroil will lift the rust but leave bare shiny metal underneath when you clean it. Even when using mild abrasives like the Big 45 pads or soft brass brush. I use Hoppes #9 oil on rust.

Last edited:
When I use the Big 45 pads I just use it with good ole 3 in 1 oil. Some say you should use the pads with no oil but I always use 3 in 1.

When I use the Big 45 pads I just use it with good ole 3 in 1 oil. Some say you should use the pads with no oil but I always use 3 in 1.
I like 3 in 1 oil but my wife can't stand the smell so I use Hoppes #9 oil which has almost zero smell.

YouTube or Google it, lots of good information for this problem. None are perfect but a little ware will give the gun some character.

I will second Big 45 Pads.
I fought rust on a rifle that someone gave me, he had a brass brush with patch stuck in it for weeks before bringing it to me. I soaked it with oils including Kroil before finally shooting it out.
Then the battle with Rust was on.
I tried lots of ways but it kept coming back.
Then I was given a Big 45 Pad!
It took some elbow grease, wrapped onto a wood dowel and scrubbed like there was no tomorrow. After a few sessions of that (cleaning between each) I scrubbed with Big 45 pad and and Break Free. Did a final cleaning and heavy oil - checked with a clean patch each day for a week; no more rust!
That was almost two years ago, still no rust!

I will second Big 45 Pads.
I fought rust on a rifle that someone gave me, he had a brass brush with patch stuck in it for weeks before bringing it to me. I soaked it with oils including Kroil before finally shooting it out.
Then the battle with Rust was on.
I tried lots of ways but it kept coming back.
Then I was given a Big 45 Pad!
It took some elbow grease, wrapped onto a wood dowel and scrubbed like there was no tomorrow. After a few sessions of that (cleaning between each) I scrubbed with Big 45 pad and and Break Free. Did a final cleaning and heavy oil - checked with a clean patch each day for a week; no more rust!
That was almost two years ago, still no rust!
That's good to know, thanks.

If you have rust on a blued finish, it's toast, I'm afraid. You are never getting that finish back.

I had a Colt 1860 revolver that I put in a case evidently wet at one Nationals that rained like crazy. got home and it had blotches of rust all over it. You can rub it down with oil and that's fine but the places where the corrosion happened no bluing is coming back.

It's the only gun where I stripped it to make an "antique" finish.

Back