• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rust in my new Colt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I just got a new 1851 navy colt in August. I havn't shot it yet. Tonight I took it apart to clean it before taking it to the range tomorrow and I found some rust in the barrel at the breach end. I've had superficial rust in new guns before and I just run some patches with solvent through them and cleaned it out. Well, I cleaned and cleaned and cleaned and found that the barrel was pitted not just rusted. There is no other rust on the gun so I'm thinking its not just me storing it improperly or something it must have been rusted before it got to me. Am I with in my rights to send it back and ask for a replacement? I do plan on calling the place where I got it to ask. Has this happened to any of you?

I'm thinking the gun may have been test-fired at the factory by their Q.C. dept. and someone forgot to clean it, or...

Let's hope that the gun wasn't returned to the factory once before and they repackaged it and sold it as new again...

You have every right to sent it back for replacement, and should do so.

Latest posts

Back