• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SOLD Russ Hamm Lock (Flint) Never Mounted

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jonboyb

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Bought this from vendor at CLA show several years to replace a Hamm percussion on a late 70's rifle i love to keep "authentic". Just never got around to doing it. Sold to me as a timed and worked lock and i have no doubt about that claim. Its tight, fast, and sparks as well as any of my modern locks. Tested several times with good spark and frizzen roll over. No wobble or looseness at all, and beautiful patina. $125 shipped.

20201231_131814.jpg
20201231_130419.jpg
20201231_130238.jpg
20201231_130202.jpg
20201231_130129.jpg

That's an interesting lock, and I would consider it significant in the history of modern muzzleloading. After World War 2 until into the seventies, probably, flint locks could be hard to come by. Finding a percussion lock was not so difficult, and many were made by fitting a percussion hammer to the lock plate and innards from a junked side lock breechloading shotgun. Flint locks were another story. I remember Mr. Hamm's full-page ads in Muzzle Blasts from back then, showing around six or seven models that he produced. I think the "Maslin" lock you have there was probably the inspiration for the lock CVA produced and installed on virtually all of their guns, a few years later.

That's a beautiful lock, and it appears to be pristine. I see one detail I did not know about the Hamm locks, though, which appears to be a screw in the tumbler for adjustment of the sear engagement. An interesting feature!

I'm not really in the market for one of those, but the price is reasonable and the lock itself is a beauty. I'm sure someone will be very happy with it!

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
Thanks Bob 👍 I looked at several Hamms before finding this one as i wanted to stay build timeframe correct instead of the RPL route. I have a couple of his percussion locks and i know they also have the screw tumbler stop too.

The photos of the backside are terrible. The shading makes bridle, tumbler, etc look grimey but theyre actuslly polished and shiny.

I'm almost certain this would be a good replacement for a lock I have on an early 70s rifle. And so... I will take it.

This is my Cornell Kemper rifle... I think the lock you have is the same one. I’ve always been concerned that I would not be Baytown find parts of it ever broke! 😉

Attachments

• 44F5DFF5-258C-4E21-8AEA-917B0CFB9A28.jpeg
    44F5DFF5-258C-4E21-8AEA-917B0CFB9A28.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 20
Indeed. A pleasure chatting with you, as well.

This lock will ensure that my rifle stays in service a good many years. The original lock still works great, but having an unused, identical lock in reserve is a relief. Can't imagine it would be easy to find parts for a Russ Hamm these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back