• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

rubber mulch bullet trap?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazie

32 Cal.
Reaction score
we go through alot of lead at the range i have seen some read online about rubber mulch bullet traps. has anyone made one? looking to reclaim prb and maxi ball if these would work how thick do i need the mulch?

An interesting idea. Did your reading tell of pros and cons?

The model I have seen calls for a frame of 12 inch boards set on an incline of no less than 34 degrees (for a sand filled trap). How well it would work for a mulch trap? Trial and error is all I can say. However, this is designed for normal small arms ammunition, not muzzleloaders. I would think it should be adequate for your needs, I have no idea how much less you could get by with.

A thought I have is how well does rubber mulch stay in place. I would think it doesn’t pack as well as sand and may develop a tunneling effect faster, requiring more raking to maintain. If you don’t do that, eventually you could be losing projectiles into the back stop anyway. As well, you could end up losing the mulch as it sprays outside the bullet catcher. Just be prepared for that potential expense.

If your range can afford it, I see a snail type bullet trap as a better option for easy recovery.

(IIRC) In the last issue of Backwoodsman magazine, Jan/Feb 2017, there is an article on a DIY bullet trap. It deflects the bullets downward into the ground. Should be pretty easy to deflect them down into much less rubber mulch than a trap that uses 100% RM and no deflection. Should cost less too. Probably could simply use wood mulch or sawdust to reclaim the lead, and save even more money.

LD

crazie said:
we go through alot of lead at the range i have seen some read online about rubber mulch bullet traps. has anyone made one? looking to reclaim prb and maxi ball if these would work how thick do i need the mulch?

At least 3 times thicker than needed.

My biggest concern is, what to do with the mulch when I'm finished with it....
How do I safety dispose of X amount of lead contaminated ground up rubber car tires... :shocked2:
At least with sand It can be encapsulated by mixing with concrete.

I'm not a fan of rubber mulch...I once saw a playground that replaced the sand with rubber mulch, it sounded like a good idea....until you looked at it closer and picked up a piece, and noticed all the tiny little wires from the steel belting protruding from the pieces like small hypodermic needles...... :td:

:hmm: You don't mix sand with concrete. One takes sand and puts sand into screens and separate sand and lead. Return sand to trap and melt down lead. That is what is allowed by EPA lead program.

If highly toxic, possibly radioactive, heavy metal laden Coal fly ash can be added to concrete, why not sand once used in a bullet trap that has had the large pieces of lead removes?

Roundball who used to hang out here did it and provided a nice write up. You might search his back posts. Nothing fancy- just mulch in a cardboard box with a target taped to one end. Not that big a box either as I recall.

He tried that after my own posts about using a 5 gallon bucket of sand with the target on one side and an innertube liner to help "heal" the holes. He couldn't get sand like I do living on the sea shore, so he tried the mulch. Much lighter, too!

BTW- My 5 gallon bucket of sand stopped a 30-06 ball round fired into it at 25 yards, my first test of the idea. I figured if sandbags stopped rifle rounds, so would a bucket. Sure nuff. Even 58 and 62 caliber alloy balls don't go halfway through the bucket.

Zero need for angled steel deflectors or any such folderol. Cheap, easy, and no construction skills required.

:v No reason to dispose of sand once screened Sand is NOT CONTAINATED once ALL lead is removed. That is per EPA and that is what I do for a living, environmental services when we do trap ranges that can not remove lead shoot we use lime to treat areas, this is also what EPA lead abatement rules cover when one has a program for lead abatement Any size range should have a lead program that meets EPA.

I agree with was deflection plate I was thinking the same thing I do have some ar500 for that. From what I seen is a wood box with wood baffles inside to divide to make it easier to find the lead. Also it was said that around 18 inches would stop high powered rifle rounds and shaking the box the lead rounds fall to the bottom.

This is a good idea like I said in the last post I do have ar500 to do this but I also do have some different place I also shoot at so lighter would be better. But for a stationary target I will be doing this. Sand would work the best and using a rubber liner to hold the sand seems to work well from what I hear. But for how many shots can it take. Seems rubber mulch can be used and will hold. Some mixing went reclaiming lead should last a very long time

Frenchman said:
:v No reason to dispose of sand once screened Sand is NOT CONTAINATED once ALL lead is removed. That is per EPA and that is what I do for a living, environmental services when we do trap ranges that can not remove lead shoot we use lime to treat areas, this is also what EPA lead abatement rules cover when one has a program for lead abatement Any size range should have a lead program that meets EPA.
Interesting.... :hmm:
Thanks..

I found a description for a rubber mulch trap online and modified it a bit. I made a 1/2" plywood box 24"x24"x36" with 2x2 framing and a hinged lid. I put it on wheels made out of the sides of a cable spool (plus front legs) so I could roll it out to my range area like a garden cart.

I made the 24"x24" front end with pieces of thin galvanized angle on the sides and bottom so I could replace the 1/4" ply front by sliding it out.

I fastened a piece of metal roofing on top to keep the water out.

Then I filled it with rubber playground mulch, right up to the top. Later I also cut up 23" squares from leftover pieces of 1/2" rubber stall mat and stacked them up front to keep the mulch from spilling out of the bullet holes.

I have fired everything from .22 to .69 into this and it stops everything. I shoot a lot of .54 and that stops about half way through.

Every so often I have to add half a bag of rubber mulch to the top because the bullets make it finer so it packs down. Periodically I have to slide in a new piece of 1/4" ply in front and then slide the old piece out.

I weighed bullets that I retrieved from it and found that they had lost less than 1% of their weight.

Once I figure out where a particular caliber of balls is going I can just open the top and dig down in that region. I know I'm in the right area by the spray of sawdust from the front plywood.

It's a great system. I have recycled a lot of lead with it.

Thanks I'm not sure if u have this on the internet somewhere else or not but that's exactly what I seen it was 2x2x3 with wheels. I'm looking to make something like this. I will only be shooting 50 cal round balls and 320 reals into it. Would u think 24 inch deep would be ok just to lighten it up a but.

Crazie, 24" might work *most* of the time. The problem is those occasional high shots where there might be less mulch, or a gap in the the mulch where you have been placing a lot of shots. I'd err on the side of too much depth. Rubber mulch is cheap.

Back