• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Roundball sizes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tallguy888

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a .56 Cal. smoothbore. I have a box of roundballs that I was given. I put a micrometer to them and they differ in size. Anywhere from .545 to .550. Should I be using anything that isnt .550? Also how thick should my patches be and if I use the smaller balls should I use a thicker patch? Thanks

I wouldn't concern myself with 5/1000 of an inch in a smoothbore. Obturation will make up more difference than that. Shoot 'em!

Vic

I have a .56 Cal. smoothbore. Should I be using anything that isnt .550?

You can always melt them down and re-cast them in your perfered size, if you are set up to do so...

You can use a thicker patch to make up the difference, be careful not to mix the two sizes and have a thicker patch with the larger projectile, you would notice it when it loaded harder...

There is really no set rule in patch thickness vrs. ball size, experiment with them and have fun shooting...

.550's are the nominal size for a .56 smoothbore (and is what I use too)...you're probably just seeing manufacturing deviations from ball to ball...pretty sure you wouldn't see any difference at the target that you could attribute to that particular ball

Another benifit is when your shooting with friends and you have a good group going on a target, then you accidentally "pull off" right as the gun fires you can say "that was one of those undersize balls I was telling you about!" ::

I would say shoot them as long as they are tight enought to stay seated on the powder. Rocky /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

: Being out .005 really isn't bad in the .56 however! A smoothbore should have a smaller ball than a mere .010" under bore size. That only allows a 5 or 6 thou patch. For repeated shooting without having to clean often, you need a thicker patch. You don't have rifling to take up patch thickness- so you really should have a .540ball for that .56. That will allow at least a .010 patch. A .535 would be even better, or even a .530 ball, alowing a .015" patch. Smoothbores are a diffrent kettle of fish. Most .54 rifles are .566 grouve to grouve - about the same as your smoothie. Most .54 rifles use .530" to .535" balls. you should too.
Daryl

Latest posts

Back