• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Roundball Elk Action

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grndhntr

40 Cal.
Reaction score
In April, 2012, I wasn't sure that I wanted to use my 4 preference points for a Colorado elk hunt, but I finally decided that I would apply and see if I could draw a coveted Colorado muzzleloader bull tag. I had a spot that I have hunted close to where I live, but it had been several years since I had been in there to hunt. My tag arrived in the mail that summer and I was excited. Colorado has a great season for hunting elk with a muzzleloader in the middle of the rut. I was excited to try to call in an bull elk into the close range required of my little "trapper's carbine". I had modified a .50 caliber Thompson Center rifle so that it was easier to carry in the woods, but this decreased my range, somewhat. I made a possibles bag from an elk hide that I had from an elk I had taken with my recurve bow several years earlier.

SlingandBag.jpg

On the first day of the season, I was not able to hunt in the morning so I didn't get out in the mountains until about 3:00 PM. Hiking in to the area, I took time to enjoy the beautiful September weather and scenery. I never tire of the Colorado mountains in the fall.
That evening, I ended up getting into the middle of a herd that had a really nice bull, several satellite bulls that I didn't see, but were very vocal, and about 25 cows. Not bad for my first hunt of the season. It was very exciting, but the big bull never gave me a shot that I was comfortable taking, so I had to let him go. We played cat and mouse for several hours and he finally had enough and took his group of cows over the ridge and into an area of private land that I couldn't hunt. The next morning, I decided to hunt in the same area just to see if the satellite bulls were still in the area. I went to the same little meadow where the cows were bedded when I found them the day before. I figured that their scent was still in the air and would mask mine if I got the chance at a bull. What a great morning. the air was crisp, but comfortable, a perfect day to chase elk in the Rockies. I cow-called several times and then just lay down and took a nap for a few minutes. Then, I would call again, listen, and then lay down and snooze for 10 or 15 minutes again. After about an hour, I was just about to give up and call it a morning when I heard a faint bugle. I called back and got another bugle right away. Moving toward the bull, I continued calling until it sounded like he was about 200 yards away. I did my best to imitate a lost cow in estrus and then snuck foreword another 50 yards so that the bull would pass by me looking for the cow. I spotted him coming when he was about 100 yards away. I decided that he was a nice bull and I would try to take him if I could even though he was smaller than the herd bull that I was hunting the day before. My plan worked out perfectly and he passed by me at 35 yards. The patched round ball took out both lungs as he walked and he only made it about 100 yards before crashing where I could see him. My first muzzleloader elk!

IMG_0022.jpg

Antlercarryout2.jpg

OnthewallMLbull.jpg

Back