• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

roundball casting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bramble

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I would like to begin casting rounds for my .50, and after looking at the catalogues realized that I should ask some advice for what is needed, what is recommended, what works, & what doesn't.
All help is appreciated.
bramble

Do a search on casting and you'll come up with more info than you can believe. Casting's real easy and cheap to get started.

HD

I use an OLD Coleman stove. You can get a lead melting pot, a ladle, and a Lee mould from Midsouh and you are good to go. Just be careful while casting not to let ANY WATER get in the laed. No sweat, no bugs, none of that. And have plenty of ventilation. I cast outside. It ain't all that hard to do.Plenty of info here on the sight about it. Just do a search.

There are usually several lead melting pots for sale on ebay for around $50. I prefer the iron moulds myself. Make sure you are happy with the caliber before you buy. There is a world of difference between .490 and .495.

I cast my bullets in cal .50 and .54 using the LEE aluminium molds. They are pricewoth and easy to handle. quality of the RB's is very good. for casting minies I use the also LEE moulds.For my .45 RB's I take a primitive mould from Rapine.

Thank you Kirrmeister. I was looking at Lee moulds, and having a field endorsement is great.

citadelbill,
thanks for the word. My .50 has a good tight fit with a .490 & a ticking patch. It works well for me, but your point was something that I had not considered.

bramble

:v Though I use some Lyman moulds---the LEE's are much cheaper, come with handles---and being made of Aluminium they heat up faster. In fact I use a small electric heater to warm up the Lymans as well as the LEE moulds before casting.This cuts down on the throw backs because the moulds are not hot enough. Only with the aluminium moulds---you should take some waxy lube when they are stil warm and touch some to one face of the mould then close the mould--- this will prevent the two faces of the mould from sticking together ( can be a disaster when they do) :winking:

Is Mesic anywhere near Florence, SC? If not, I will be up for Cowpens and some other events in NC before too long.

I might be able to help you with a demo and some lead. You could try it out and then figure what you need from my kit.

Also, you will need a good pair of glasses and leather gloves.

CS

At the onset, let me admit that most of these guys are probably much more experienced than me, so their advice may carry more weight. That being said, I've run round ball over camp coals using simple brass bag molds and iron lead pot / ladles for many years, and have usually been very happy with the results. For me, that's part of the fun of it all. Doing it the old way, outside, simple gear, simple results. (All I want is a good round lead ball, right?)

I toss bad casts into a pile that I'll melt down for recast, I use pure lead for some, wheel weights for others. Experience has taught me more than anything. (And REALLY listen about the moisture thing!)

Gentlemen,
I have the distinct impression that, with your advice I may get through this without life threatening errors. :haha: I appreciate the input.
CrackStock, Mesic is a miniscule community east of New Bern, NC. I'm guessing that you are re-enacting at Cowpens? I'd love to take you up on your kind offer of a demonstration.
bramble

As has been said -REALLY listen about the water/moisture advice. It only takes a drop of rain water hidden in a fold,or for those of us lucky enough to find lead pipeing which is usually crimped at the end where it was cut a drop of water left in the pipe to realy ruin your day. During casting you will probably need to quench the mould at some time to lower its temp, do so with a ball in the mould and wait untill all the steam has gone and any damp patches have disappeared before putting more lead in. Its a great way to spend the day when the weather stops you shooting.

I will be doing this too but what is concerning me is that the bullet moulds are 1 or 2 cavity and I am thinking just how long will it take me to cast a hundred or so balls?

Try Lee products. Lee molds are 1/3 to 1/4 the price of Lyman's. Alot of shooters use them. Mine are over 15 years old and still cast like new. The Lee Production Pot IV is inexpensive. It holds 10 pounds of molten lead and has a bottom pour spout. With the money you save, Lee's setup will pay for itself in no time.

I agree fully with Cowpoke1955. I have ordered today 2 LEE moulds for cal. 50 (.495 dia) and cal.54 (.535 dia) RB's. So I'm completely independent of buying any bullets.

Back