• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Round Balls With Dimples

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the photo of the barrel bending at the instant of ignition is amazing! it is something that I have never seen or even knew about!!

It's called barrel harmonics and is the very reason I advocate against resting the barrel on a rest for accuracy testing. Nearly all guns do it to some extent. If you extrapolate that "bending" for what it is, a vibration frequency, where that barrel is located in the vibration wave when the bullet exits the bore will control group size. Guys who shoot BPCR from cross sticks have known this for a long time. Think back to maths, X and Y axis where the X axis is the length of your barrel, and the Y axis is the motion during firing. There is a "null" point for every load where barrel motion is crossing back across the line of aim, or the X axis where Y=0. Mathematically speaking, the optimum time for a bullet to exit the bore is when Y=0 and X=Barrel Length. Make that "null" coincide with the bullet exit from the muzzle and that's a where that load will shoot it's tightest possible group. If you're shooting from a rest with the barrel on the rest, you interfere with this motion and alter point of impact and group size. If you grip the barrel as you would for offhand, be as upright as possible as you would offhand and rest the back of your forward hand on the rest, it will minimize the impact of a front rest on the barrel harmonic. A free floated barrel will behave differently and require a different technique.

One other way to think of this, anything you do that puts a force on the barrel will affect this vibration and change the point of impact. In another thread, I've spoken against using a "Lead Sled" for muzzleloading and this is the exact reason. Point of Impact will have no correlation to Point of Aim and group sizes will be different.

Last edited:
I had to quit golfing, the damage deposits got to be too much…

I usually shoot negative numbers while golfing. I also play "army golf"- left right left right. I keep score by the number of golf balls I've lost or found. Negative numbers, not so good. Positive numbers, I have more golf balls than when I started. Number of strokes is irrelevant.

The Scottish deerskin trader James Adair observed the Southern tribes using "chewed bullets" in their smoothbore trade guns......
In his book "History of the American Indians" Adair was convinced that the Chickasaw & many of the other Southern tribes were defended from the Lost Tribes of Israel. His attention to detail in his notes is second to none.

From my perspective........It does work to help improve accuracy in a smooth bore when shooting in historical manner with wadding & bare ball.

David

I usually shoot negative numbers while golfing. I also play "army golf"- left right left right. I keep score by the number of golf balls I've lost or found. Negative numbers, not so good. Positive numbers, I have more golf balls than when I started. Number of strokes is irrelevant.
Spose shooting at the gophers and geese on the front nine didn’t help my popularity at the club either….

Does anyone think, that somehow,, the "dimpled/chewed ball" being as it is, provides better accuracy, and NOBODY in 200yrs has grasped the advantage to provide them on the market for us to use on a regular basis?

Took me to 10th place expert class my very first Nationals.

Steve

The Scottish deerskin trader James Adair observed the Southern tribes using "chewed bullets" in their smoothbore trade guns......
In his book "History of the American Indians" Adair was convinced that the Chickasaw & many of the other Southern tribes were defended from the Lost Tribes of Israel. His attention to detail in his notes is second to none.

From my perspective........It does work to help improve accuracy in a smooth bore when shooting in historical manner with wadding & bare ball.

David
I guess that chewing lead, doesn't cause brain damage??

David
"Verily, it is written: cheweth thy balls that thine enemy be smote unto hellfire!"- 2nd Habakkuk, V.278

Just kidding, but it does sound like the kind of thing a scienti-gnostic Scots frontiersman might say, ya gotta admit. Or maybe a line from a fine Terry Pratchett book.

I think everyone who has shot round ball thru their smoothy knows each gun is a law unto its own.
Some do better with roughed balls, some with patched. Some with heavy charges. Some not so much.
IMHO, it's not hard to get a prb to shoot nice groups in a rifle, it's harder to get minies to shoot the same groups. But you gotta be on top of your game to get winning groups from a smoothy without a rear sight. But I'm far from an expert.

What I’ve found rolling balls between two rasp roughing them giving a chewed appearance as mentioned enlarges the diameter..

Dimpled balls are not rough..
I prefer the dimples if shooting bare ball loads.

The reason being using a .648 Tanner mold it leavea larger sprue.. Tumbling or shaking helps smooth it somewhat..

Rasp balls are more forgiving when loading, they seem too help keep the fouling from building up as much as dimpled do.🥴

Back