• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

round ball ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i have a 12 shotgun with a modified choke ? i have no way to messure it but a dime will fit into the bore snug.what would be a safe size round ball to start with & were can i order round balls from? thanks

with a modified choke??..... None.

You need a cylinder bore for roundball, or a jug choke.

A .690" diameter RB should fit through that choke with a fabric patch. If not, then go down to the next available size ball, and use a thicker fabric patch.

The general rule is that if the ball and patch can go down through the choke, they should be able to come out of through the choke, too.

Turkeyman,
As Paul said, if it goes in, it will come out. Remember also, that the "lead" ball is softer than your "steel" barrel and, without an obstruction, the ball will swage itself to the bore size.
Mark

Are you sure it's a modified choke? I've always thought that if a dime would sit in the muzzle without falling in it was a full choke.

Good morning
Does that dime indicate the barrel gets wider a couple inches down ? The idea is to be sure whether this is a choke or the beginning of a cylinder bore.
Use a long nose needle nose pliers or medical forcept and investigate what the barrel diameter is about 3 inches and more. An Inside Caliper would be a better tool.
You could stick that dime flat on a wide ramrod with bubblegumand do the same... But I would be a bit more inclined to try a snug patch.

my next post will ask how the heck do i get bubblegum out of my new shotgun barrel? just kidding. by using the needlenose pliers & the dime it does seam to get wider 3-4 inches in but very little the tightest is right at the exit of the muzzle. i think the biggest round ball & path i can load without haveing to beat it will work i am going to try .690 first. looking for 4 inch groups at 60 yards. have to order everything hate waiting.

Latest posts

Back