• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Round ball ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
For you shooters who have been around long enough to know. Question is if I'm looking to build myself the well maybe not the most accurate by getting into some crazy custom barrel....Would I want a 1/48 or 1/66?
It will be a32 cal. I'm looking at a Rice 42 in. Swamped A weight barrel. It comes in either twist, oh yes and square or round bottom rifling. Your experience and knowledge is appreciated.

Last edited:
Well for Patch round balls only, my recommendations would be 1:66 twist with round bottom rifling. Of course some 1:48 shoot PRB well so if there is a chance you'd want to shoot conicals, that would be your best bet.

If you want to blow up a rabbit with a 32 use the 66 twist. If you want to save the meat maybe you should use the 48. After years of shooting rabbits with my old 66 twist 32 I had a chance to run my 20 gr FFF load through a chronograph. It was doing 1800 plus fps. It's an accurate load which is good because if I want any meat left I have to head shoot them. I don't know cause I haven't done it but I think a 48 twist will shoot good at a lower velocity.

I'm looking to find the right barrel for strictly round ball and capable of 3/4 to 1 in groups at 50 yards. Is that expecting to much?
I’ve heard that the Traditions Crockett rifle is well regarded. And yes open sighted muzzleloaders are capable of sub MOA accuracy. YOU and your ability to use open sights are really the limiting factors here.

My thought is your pushing your expectations for consistent 1" groups at 50 yds. with a .32 cal. . Small calibers at 50 Yds. are susceptible to wind drift even from a solid bench rest. I used to hunt small game with a.36 cal. , my favorite for years , but, I've finally moved up to a .40 , with accurate reduced loads. 1 turn in 48 in. , is good twist for all of the calibers .40 , and below. The .40 with reduced loads ,is accurate ,and less concerned with wind drift at 50 yds.. Also ,with reduced loads , there is little tissue tissue damage the same as a .32 and a .36 , and you still have the option to stoke the .40 up for 50 yd. groups , and the extra power for a turkey , coyote , or another larger animal. This info is from an old guy , been doing this for better than 1/2 century + , and still haven't figured some of it out. ...............oldwood :thumb:

If you’re wanting 50 yard accuracy go with a larger caliber. At least a 40 preferably a 45. I’ve had several 32 rifles. 25 yard accuracy can be one hole groups. I’ve never been able to get a decent 50 yard group with a 32. A simple slight breeze wreaks havoc on that tiny ball.

For you shooters who have been around long enough to know. Question is if I'm looking to build myself the well maybe not the most accurate by getting into some crazy custom barrel....Would I want a 1/48 or 1/66?
It will be a32 cal. I'm looking at a Rice 42 in. Swamped A weight barrel. It comes in either twist, oh yes and square or round bottom rifling. Your experience and knowledge is appreciated.
Since you want a 32 caliber rifle, the faster twist is the best choice. In my club, the best shooters prefer the square bottom rifling. They feel there is a bit too much gas cutting with the radiused grooved barrels.

I would not use 1/48 its the not really good at either round ball or conical.
1/66 might be a bit tight for 32 cal. Id go with 1/60. I did in 45 and its an ease to load.

Well I got my 40 in 1/48 with 36 in barrel round bottom rifling. Covered tgere. Got my 32 42in flintlock and a 42 in percusion 36. Got a 62 cal fusil kit on the way in couple weeks. Just wanting to build a swamped barrel 42 in southern mnt rifle in percusion. I'm kinda stuck on 32. Since I've got the others I'm covered. So 50 yards I'm dreaming so hopefully 35 would be ok with 32.

@Crow#21957, I just did a quick search of Rice, Colerain, and Pedersoli to see what twist rate they use on the small caliber (36 and smaller). Allow them use the 1 in 48 twist. If I remember correctly, I have seen faster twists in the 1 in 36" used. The small diameter ball and small powder charge stabilize that ball quite adequately. The experience of members of my gun club confirms that. Many hold NMLRA titles at Friendship. They also almost unanimously recommend getting the square bottom rifling.

Now you have me wondering. I'll have to measure the twist rate on my 36 caliber rifles. Have some cores to attend to. Th answer will be posted later. One barrel is an Ed Rayl barrel built with a false muzzle. That will be interesting.

So I could keep shooting at 76+ years ,I thought ahead , and made a 3/4 " straight octagon , 38" long ( 38 " is still considered a long rifle length.) ,and stuck it in a light walnut stock. Used an iron trigger guard, and butt plate salvaged from a shed fire , somewhere near the Cheat River , in Preston Co. W.Va.. The rifle is a dream to use , super light, about 6 lb.., and accurate , as a .40 cal. can be. ....oldwood

Back