• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Round Ball Tumbling With Graphite

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was suggested on a bullet casting forum that I try putting a squirt of dry graphite in with my round balls and allow them to tumble in a rock tumbler for a few hours. I opted to let these go overnight. During the casting process, some of my bullets ended up less than perfect, with small divots, casting and sprue marks left by the Lyman mold. This method resulted in balls that were perfectly round, with a shiny, hammered finish appearance. Give it a try— I think you’ll be most pleased with the results!
I just ordered a tumbler on Amazon, I'm going to give it a try. My vision sucks up close, so if I don't have to search for the sprue each time when loading, I think that will be an added benefit, and I shoot a lot during the warm months.

at no point did I make any claim whatsoever regarding graphite yielding an increase in accuracy.

I do, however,
believe that tumbled round balls are more accurate than their untumbled counterparts.
So I think I get it now

You do not claim graphite increases accuracy......but think tumbled balls are more accurate, correct?

Ok, if you haven’t left us yet, I do have a few questions for you, unless I have reached the level of the 3. I’ve been looking for something simple to coat roundballs with that will hold off oxidation. I’m currently looking at 45-45-10 and it shows some promise. From a single run of roundballs from a Lee mold I tumbled, one as cast, the other with a 45-45-10 coating, I found no measurable difference in accuracy out of a GM roundball twist barrel. ‘Blind’ test, as I had two groups of unlabeled balls preloaded in two separate loading blocks. Shot a round from one, then the other, at two separate targets, until all 10 shots were fired, and saw no real difference in group size. 5 and 5, repeated on another day for a total of 10 shots for each group.

Your tumbling with graphite caught my attention, primarily as a possible oxidation inhibitor, so I gave it a go. Basically a repeat of the above test, but substituting the graphite tumbled roundballs for the 45-45-10 ones. Exact same result over two range trips. No difference in accuracy. Would be interesting to hear about your test methodology. So now I am still curious, have you noticed any oxidation protection from the graphite?

And just for reference, this is the graphite I used.
View attachment 311545

Interesting statement. The high speed photography I have seen shows the patch staying with the ball until exiting the bore. Could you possibly site your source for the patch not staying with the ball for the whole length of barrel during firing? Below photograph from Larry Pletcher’s website showing patch and ball after exiting the bore.
View attachment 311546
To keep your balls from oxidizing, drop them into soapy water, spread them out,
and let them dry. The soap leaves a film that protects the surface.

If you want to tumble balls, no need to add graphite or anything else to them. All that will do is make a mess. There will be no change in accuracy. The only advantage I really see in tumbling, is that it will show if there are voids in the balls. I can do that with a little electronic scale, and only bother with that for serious competitions.

Last edited:
What's wrong with ashy balls? They shoot just fine.
To keep your balls from oxidizing, drop them into soapy water, spread them out, and let them dry. The soap leaves a film that protects the surface.
Seriously, That's a great tip. I haven't heard that one before. I'll try that. Thanks for that

Last edited:
All that will do is make a mess.

That’s incorrect. There’s no “mess” to speak of.

Again… you’re making claims about something you haven’t even bothered to try for yourself.

The graphite binds with any lead dust and causes it to become large flakes that settle to the bottom of the tumbler. If anything, it greatly reduces any mess associated with tumbling.

Last edited:

Attachments

• IMG_9997.png
    IMG_9997.png
    593 KB · Views: 0
It would appear not even Tinkerbell thinks graphite "dust" is worthwhile, she's brushing it off, as many are you.

https://images.app.goo.gl/qZNJNdRTokNm3q9j9

With affection from one of the magnificent three.

If you insist on continuing with this harassment, I will be getting a mod involved. You’ve offered nothing of value and have apparently made it your sole mission to harry and provoke me in my own thread.

You’re not the least bit funny or amusing, and you continue to perpetuate this notion that I believe graphite is a magic accurizing formula, of which I’ve never made any such claim.

Last edited:
That’s incorrect. There’s no “mess” to speak of.

Again… you’re making claims about something you haven’t even bothered to try for yourself.

The graphite binds with any lead dust and causes to become large flakes that settle to the bottom of the tumbler. If anything, it greatly reduces any mess associated with tumbling.
I've tried every darned foolish thing that came along for over fifty years. You are wet behind the ears, and don't even know enough to start. Graphite WILL make a mess.

I've tried every darned foolish thing that came along for over fifty years. You are wet behind the ears, and don't even know enough to start. Graphite WILL make a mess.

Graphite does not make a mess, and I can personally attest to it. Do I need to take photographs? Will that sufficiently appease you? The graphite flakes settle in the bottom of my rock tumbler and get dumped in the trash. A vibratory tumbler might be a different story, but you’ll notice I explicitly referred to using a rock tumbler in my initial post.

Apparently, I'm just a lowly peasant compared to Your Highness. Thank you for allowing me to bask in your presence.

It’s people like you that are one of the great many problems this forum struggles with. If one hasn’t made thousands of posts that have garnered as many reactions, they’re treated condescendingly and dismissed as “wet behind the ears”. Of course, If someone is new to the forum they must be an absolute novice, yea?

Last edited:
Having tumbled balls (actually vibrated) I'll attest to the fact that getting rid of the sprue is very handy for me. I haven't tried it with balls from a Lyman mold which leaves a much more prominent sprue. However, the OP seems to have had success with his tumbler.

Graphite? I dunno. I'm not concerned about the oxidation. I rarely come across it but when I do, a quick shot of wd40 seems to settle it down.

So, on to my actual point in this post. Regarding accuracy and accuracy testing. I don't know how much accuracy testing is seriously undertaken by us ML shooters but whenever I see representations of accuracy testing results they are lacking any significant data. Usually a comparison of two alternate groups each shot with some variable that is being tested and usually five shots or less. I have never seen on this forum or any other BP forum any accuracy testing regimen undertaken with enough data collected to be convincing results. I don't say it doesn't exist, only that I've never seen it. Neither do I claim to have conducted any EXSTENSIVE accuracy testing so I don't have any of claim to it.

What “test methodology” are you referring to? Let me be as clear as I possibly can here: at no point did I make any claim whatsoever regarding graphite yielding an increase in accuracy. None whatsoever! I do, however, firmly believe that tumbled round balls are more accurate than their untumbled counterparts. This belief stems from my own experience as well as countless other member reports.

Graphene is used as a corrosion inhibitor in many applications, so I see no reason why it shouldn’t offer protection against the oxidation of lead round balls; however, I don’t claim to be an expert, and I never professed to invent the process of tumbling round balls in graphite. As I’ve only been doing it for a couple weeks now, how could I possibly make any assertions about its long term viability in that regard?

I’ve already rescinded my statement insofar as patch and ball is concerned in a former post. I was misled.
On a different note, graphite is one of my favorite lubes, and is the best cure ever for sticky clips used on unmentionables. Very good for zippers and rifle bolts too. It's also available in a white form.
Squint

Many thanks, Howard and longcruise, for adding something of value to the thread. I’d like to get things back on track and put an end to this tiresome bandying of words.

Did you see the link to the article I posted, longcruise? By no means an exhaustive test, but intriguing nonetheless, and conducted by individuals who appear to know what they’re talking about. Certainly not the first experiment of its kind to suggest improved accuracy with tumbling either, which is why I continue to do so.

I don’t really understand the zealous attempts at dissuasion by detractors. If you see the value in it, tumble. If you don’t, don’t. One ought to be free to postulate, theorize, and hypothesize in their own thread without fear of derision.

Allow me to set the record straight for once and for all. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: I make no claims whatsoever that the inclusion of graphite alone will result in any accuracy gains. My own experience in tumbling with graphite has resulted in dramatic reductions of lead dust (ie. none), and slick, lightly dimpled obsidian balls. That is my only observation, for what it’s worth.

Last edited:
I'm still trying to figure out how the hell you get "lead dust??

Is this a serious question? Apparently you’ve either never dry tumbled your round balls or it’s been so long you’ve forgotten the lead dust and particulates associated with it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back