• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tumbling round ball to smooth sprue cut

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone use a rock tumbler with steel balls to smooth sprue cut on round ball? If so what size and how many steel vs. cast ball, and time required.

Does anyone use a rock tumbler with steel balls to smooth sprue cut on round ball? If so what size and how many steel vs. cast ball, and time required.
I do not use a rock tumbler to answer your question. You do not need to think outside the box on this one. Just remember sprue up or down when loading and you are good to go.
Larry

put the sprue on the back side, it should reduce drag by not letting the air flow around the ball from snapping back together at the same spot. or not.
Attempting to center a sprue on the back side is difficult. if the sprue is off set to one side, it will affect accuracy. The tried and true way is sprue forward. A short starter will flatten out the sprue most, if not all the time.

If you're buying your round balls rather than casting them just spend a little extra and get the swaged balls instead.
I totally agree. Swaged balls are the best. When I shoot my .36 caliber, I use Hornady 000 buckshot. I don't fiddle with cast bullets here. There are many fox squirrel that would testify, if they could talk. I've also had excellent results from Hornady swaged .50 out of my Hawkens. My .62 is an exception. No swaged balls are available. Careful casting, and weighing each individual ball still provides closely grouped holes at 50 yards. There are a few deer that would testify also.

I totally agree. Swaged balls are the best. When I shoot my .36 caliber, I use Hornady 000 buckshot. I don't fiddle with cast bullets here. There are many fox squirrel that would testify, if they could talk. I've also had excellent results from Hornady swaged .50 out of my Hawkens. My .62 is an exception. No swaged balls are available. Careful casting, and weighing each individual ball still provides closely grouped holes at 50 yards. There are a few deer that would testify also.
I do like the Hornady swaged balls, I do cast my own and for general shooting and hunting they work fine but when I shoot competition I only use the swaged.

I do like the Hornady swaged balls, I do cast my own and for general shooting and hunting they work fine but when I shoot competition I only use the swaged.
I would have liked to enter competition when I was younger, but everything was always too long a drive. I used to be a fair shot, and I would like to see what I could have done against others. Alvin York, I'm not, I know that.

Unless you're shooting competition, it matters not. Better to be consistent in how you do things. Btw, weighing will produce results. Pitch the heavy and light ones back into the pot.

That’s what I’m attempting to do, swage the ball. I’ve shot BP over 20 years and heard all the previous advice responding to my question. Guess I’ll buy a few different sizes and experiment.

Unless you're shooting competition, it matters not. Better to be consistent in how you do things. Btw, weighing will produce results. Pitch the heavy and light ones back into the pot.
I always keep the heavy one's and toss everything else back. If anything is lighter than the heaviest, there's a possibility it has an air pocket. I've had the best luck with the Lee moulds. Lyman steel moulds took too long to heat up and regulate, but they could produce quality, many times superior balls. Just too many rejects!

Years ago I "rolled" all of my round balls to smooth out the sprue Now I don't bother as I found that it made very little difference on accuracy plus the fact that my .445 mold leaves a different sprue cut that my .440 mold. It is easy to tell which size ball I have by looking at the sprue. Which prevents me mixing up my pistol balls and rifle balls.

I would have liked to enter competition when I was younger, but everything was always too long a drive. I used to be a fair shot, and I would like to see what I could have done against others. Alvin York, I'm not, I know that.
I won't say that I'm an Alvin York but I'm pretty close having grown up in much the same environment as he and have been shooting from the time I was a child. Even now as I grow older, I still can see the sights clearly and stay on target.

Latest posts

Back