• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Round ball size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaryED50

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi

I'm soon going to order a Brown Bess online and I found a local LGS with all the supplies I'll need but wondering. If I use paper cartridges I'm pretty sure .690 round ball will work but if loading a patched ball would .680 be better?

Gary

You didn't say who is the maker of your Brown Bess. Before I make a recommendation, I would need to know the diameter of the bore. It can vary from 0.690 to 0.750" You need to know the diameter of the bore. The 0.690" ball was the standard British ball used in the paper cartridges. It was a very loose fit and accuracy on target was notoriously poor. I have a 0.770" bore and I use a heavily paper wrapped 0.715" ball.

Let's find out what your bore diameter is before we worry about ball diameter, paper wrapping or patch material.

My Fusil de chase is .62, when I shoot a patched ball I shot a .600. For a paper cartridge it’s a .570.
About .02 to .04 under barrel size gives room for the patch without being to tight.
Should you shoot just wadded you will want to be as close to bore as possible. Lots of guys with a .62 shoot a .61
The same thing with a bess, you want to get as close as possible.
Cartridge are notorious for being inaccurate but at fifty yards you will routinely hit a dinner plate sized ant that will turn deer French for you( turn deer in to venison)
A .715 will shoot as well or better then most shot gun slugs.

You didn't say who is the maker of your Brown Bess. Before I make a recommendation, I would need to know the diameter of the bore. It can vary from 0.690 to 0.750" You need to know the diameter of the bore. The 0.690" ball was the standard British ball used in the paper cartridges. It was a very loose fit and accuracy on target was notoriously poor. I have a 0.770" bore and I use a heavily paper wrapped 0.715" ball.

Let's find out what your bore diameter is before we worry about ball diameter, paper wrapping or patch material.

I'm buying a short land pattern Brown Bess from Middlesexvillage I don't know which Italian maker they do the builds from. Its the only way I can afford it. Their asking less then $600 while everyone else is over $`1200.00

Gary

I have a .672 mold that I am using for a .69 caliber musket. Or a .655 with a fat patch or paper cartridge. My ,62 smoothbore uses a .580 rb in a paper cartridge or a .600 with a patch.

ADK Bigfoot

My Fusil de chase is .62, when I shoot a patched ball I shot a .600. For a paper cartridge it’s a .570.
About .02 to .04 under barrel size gives room for the patch without being to tight.
Should you shoot just wadded you will want to be as close to bore as possible. Lots of guys with a .62 shoot a .61
The same thing with a bess, you want to get as close as possible.
Cartridge are notorious for being inaccurate but at fifty yards you will routinely hit a dinner plate sized ant that will turn deer French for you( turn deer in to venison)
A .715 will shoot as well or better then most shot gun slugs.

Where are you living where the ants are the size of dinner plates?? 🐜

As others have said, the foreign made BBs whether India or Italian, the bores can vary considerably. For my ca. 1976 Navy Arms/Pedersoli kit boomer I use a soft lead .731" ball. Note: with that ball I load like a rifle. e.g. patch cut at muzzle and bore swabbed between every shot. Don't spend money on a mould until you determine bore size and settle on how you intend to load.

i used to shoot 570 round ball in my 62 with thick patches like blue jean material. it was very accurate ,for smoothy, and always easy to load. it was what i had.
if if shooting a patched round ball and it were me i wouldn't worry about an exact size ball, close is probably good enough, more so i would find the exact size patch material.
paper cartridges i don't know>
ou
tom

Thank you everyone. this will be a new experience for me, all of my BP shooting was Cap and ball revolvers. I have no experience with a long arm or a flintlock

Gary

Latest posts

Back