• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

rod stuck in barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason.45

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, I shot my Pedersoli Kentucky pistol today, and like an idiot tried to use the ram rod as a cleaning rod with a bit of paper towel. It got stuck, and while I was trying to get it out I managed to snap the brass cap off the end.
Now I've broken it and it's still stuck in my barrel. :cursing:
Any ideas for getting it out? Tried using a pair of pliers now that the rod's already ruined, but the wood's too soft and I can't get any grip.
Thanks.

Just see if you can get a few grains of powder into the breech through the flash channel after removing the nipple. Make sure the broken end is seated, aim at something soft and shoot it out.
If a flinter, do likewise by feeding powder through the touch hole with the aid of a pick.
Jon D

bummer... i'm afraid the only way to get it out is to do the 'trick' already mentioned. good luck with your problem!

p.s.- don't feel too embarrassed... it's like dryballing writ large.

I would not shoot it out.

Go the Automotive Store and get a 1/4X28 grease zirt. Remove the nipple and screw in the grease zirt. With a grease gun, pump grease into the zirt and pump it out.

Or try a CO2 discharger and push it out.

Or try a air compressor and push it out.

RDE

Clean the barrel ahead of the ball. It'll help it slide. Even if you can only pour water down the barrel, it'll clean out a lot of the fouling. Trouble is, it might get the powder wet, so you won't be able to shoot it out.

Thanks guys. That did the trick.
Now just have to figure out how to repair/replace the rod.

Order a replacement from Flintlocksetc or make your own.

Then buy a range rod made of brass with either a brass or plastic barrel protector.

Check TOW or October Country for options.

RDE

I encountered a similar situation that involved the short starter with my very first, I do mean very first, shot from a muzzleloader. I wound up clamping a pair of vise grips to the starter and tapped on the vise grips to extract the starter. Tap, don't smash and maybe the force will be small enough, and lineal with no torquing, the rod will stay intact until you get it out. After this procedure I wouldn't trust the rod for future use and heave it. Sorry I can't offer advice for your current situation but maybe for future reference.

Jason,I had to make a new ramrod for my pistol;I stepped on it at the range. I went to Home Depot and bought a 3/8 hardwood dowel and cut it down.Had enough for 5 rods. Used a.380 shell casing for the brass; it worked great..shadowalker

One of the common methods of removing a "stuck ramrod" when a cleaning patch has been run down the barrel is to simply pour some water into the bore.
After doing this, let it set for a few minutes.
Usually the wet patch will release its grip on the bore and slide easily out of the gun.

Of course you have to do this before you have broken the ramrod/cleaning rod. :hmm:

I broke the brass tip off my ramrod about a month ago. It was at the bottom of the barrel. I had accidently used two cloth cleaning patches so that created too much grab with them on my cleaning jag. But there was lube on the patches so getting a few grains of powder to ignite was not plausible.

I was feeling defeated but I had to do something. My approach was different.

I roughed up and cleaned up the wooden end of the ram rod with a bit of sand paper. Then I mixed up some two part 5 minute setting epoxy (JB Weld) and carefully coated the wooden end of my ram rod with just enough epoxy that it would give me uniform bond but not so much that it would squish out and bond to the barrel. I carefully lowered the ram rod in my barrel keeping it centered in that last moment and felt the wooden ram rod end fit into the brass tip stuck inn the bottom of the barrel. Then I let it sit 24 hours in a warm 70 -75 degree location.

The next day I poured some more oil down the barrel let it sit a minute and then pulled carefully, straight out. The ramrod with jag with two patches came out with not a lot of effort, well lubed. My bond job to the brass tip was also darn good!

Back