• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

RMC touchhole liner problems

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juano2001

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Bought a couple of these cause I like the idea of the hex key removal as opposed to the white lightnings. Problem I have been having is the 5/16-24 liners I bought fit very loosely in the threaded holes. I tried one on a custom gun I own and also on a Dixie Mountain Rifle...same problem with both. On the custom gun it fires great but I have a heck of a time removing the liner afterword and it is full of fouling. I haven't tried the Dixie yet but expect the same. Anyone else experience this?

I know that this has been discussed repeatedly on this board, but I'll repeat it again. Most people don't remove the vent liner unless it's worn out. There is no need to remove it for cleaning. What did people do before they had vent liners?

If you must remove the vent liner, I would recommend putting some choke lube on the threads to ease removal.

It's possible one of the=ose guns has metric threads. Most people aren't in the habit of removing the liner every time they clean. White Lightning liners are designed to be put in permanently and can be easily drilled out and replaced with new if the need ever comes. I should be so lucky to have time enough to burn one of those out where it needed to be replaced. My opinion is that the hex type liners collect more fouling and arent a good design for fast ignition.
Someone should check that loose fit for you. I once saw one of those loose fitting liners go flying off the side of the rifle as fast as the ball came out of the front. Luckily nobody to his right got hurt.

Horse Doctor said:
It's possible one of the=ose guns has metric threads. Most people aren't in the habit of removing the liner every time they clean. White Lightning liners are designed to be put in permanently and can be easily drilled out and replaced with new if the need ever comes. I should be so lucky to have time enough to burn one of those out where it needed to be replaced. My opinion is that the hex type liners collect more fouling and arent a good design for fast ignition.
Someone should check that loose fit for you. I once saw one of those loose fitting liners go flying off the side of the rifle as fast as the ball came out of the front. Luckily nobody to his right got hurt.

Doubt they are metric...I took another 5/16-24 and it fit fine, just the RMC one giving me trouble. If you have the choice of being able to remove the liner or not, why wouldn't you choose to use one you can remove? I like it for bore inspection, and if I ever dry balled it would be handy. I just like the idea of being able to remove it if I need to and not destroying it in the process.

Now I know most people don't remove there vent liners when Thsy clean but that was not what I was asking. What I want to know is if anyone else found the RMC liners a little loose. Whether I remove it everytime or never, I am still concerned that it is loose.

It may not be metric but a 8mm X 1 thread is .315 diameter with a 24 thread per inch pitch. :hmm:

A 5/16 (.312) thread would fit loosly in a 8 X 1 metric threaded hole. :hmm:

Zonie said:
It may not be metric but a 8mm X 1 thread is .315 diameter with a 24 thread per inch pitch. :hmm:

A 5/16 (.312) thread would fit loosly in a 8 X 1 metric threaded hole. :hmm:

Does anyone know what the .50 cal Dixie Mountain Rifles were threaded? This was one of the ones with a really loose fit.

Dixies 1980 catalog says their .50 cal Tennessee Mountain Rifle has a 5/16-24 threaded drum and is convertable to Flintlock with a 1/16-24 vent liner and Flintlock.
I don't have any information about the CVA or Dixie Mountain Rifles they later sold.

You mite want to contact RMC and tell them
exactly what you need the liners for. I have delt
with RMC several times and found them to be
very easy to work with. They have a tec support
person that you should be able to talk to in
order to resolve your problem. :hmm:
snake-eyes

I have the tennessee mountain rifle didn't realize there was a dixie mountain rifle as well.

Back