• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifle Twist?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vthompson

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am going to get myself a new flintlock rifle after the first of the year but I would like your input on a question that I have.
I currently own and shoot a 50cal T/C Hawken which has a 1 in 48 twist. The rifle that I have been looking at is a Lyman GPR in 50cal. and it has a 1 in 60 twist.
My 50cal percussion rifle shoots dead on at 50 yards with the 1 in 48 barrel. Will the Lyman shoot as well? or what can I expect out of it if I decide to go ahead and get it? Thank you for your time.

I have owned 2 great plaines both were percussions and both were GREAT shooters with roundballs. due to the 1in60 twist they will do better with roundballs. good luck to you :thumbsup:

It really depends on how much powder you use the slower rat of 1:60 will do best with a low charge at slower velocities and round ball but the 1:48 will do better with any projectile at a relatively higher velocity.

I thought that the slow twist barrels shot PRBs better at high velocity because they are less likely to strip the rifling than a faster twist rifle........................watch yer top knot.............

yes for round balls and low velocities slower twist are best and round balls just because there aerodynamic properties dont do well at higher velocities among other things that limit there ability. but with any firearm the faster and smaller the round the faster the rate of twist for stabilization

The problem with RB is a poor ballistic coefficient (it loses velocity at a horrid rate) and a short bearing surface that is prone to stripping as others have noted. The sphere needs little rotation to stabilize so one can balance the use of a slow rifling twist as in 1-60” to 1-70” to allow pushing the RB to a higher velocity without exceeding the mechanical integrity of soft lead while still stabilizing the projectile. A bullet, while needing a faster twist rate to stabilize it also has a much larger bearing surface to resist deformation/stripping while pushing it into the velocity range desired. It's a balancing act that is a bit like different gear ratios for different purposes.

With that statement made about prb's and slower speeds and limits I am getting the popcorn and beer out :grin:

PRB-slow twist-60/70 wide velocity range.
PRB-fast twist-better at low velocity.
IMHO
Deadeye

86marine said:
It really depends on how much powder you use the slower rate of 1:60 will do best with a low charge at slower velocities and round ball but the 1:48 will do better with any projectile at a relatively higher velocity.

:hmm: My results vary from yours. :hmm:

My .50 and .54 calibers with 1:48 twist barrels shoot round balls very well at low to mid velocity, while my 1:60 and 1:66 like the faster speeds.

I've had 1 GPR and 4 T/C's and the GPR out shot all the T/C's. And it will be accurret with the PRB with any load, its a round ball its not like it can tumble at any speed thats why it use's a slow twist.

Latest posts

Back