• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifle TC should have made?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebiggs1

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Well here we are some 24 TC rifles later and now I have completed the gun that Thompson Center should have made. IN MY HUMBLE OPINION of coarse. :v

I slim the wist area down more than TC does, also the forearm is thinner.. I add a toe plate. Davis trigger, naturally.

IMG_4793-1.jpg

More of a old style buck-horn rear sight. A tung oil finish with paste wax finish. The flintlock has Minwax Rosewood stain. The cap lock has Golden Oak.

IMG_4795-1.jpg

Replaced front sight. And most of all the 32”, 1/70 ROT Green Mountain barrel.

IMG_4794-1.jpg

Well you say, “It's no longer a Thompson Center Hawkin.” :grin: So be it, but they are my version and they are mine! :wink:
They both were kits, BTW. :applause:

How do they function ? Meaning how's the spark and balance.....I like what you've done....especally the flinter. I might have scratched the shinny metal and used black iron. Eliminated the patchbox altogether....then it'd be my version :rotf:

Very nice work! I haven't done the extra work you have, but there aren't many of mine that still have factory 1:48" barrels. They're either GMs or TC Custom shop with the appropriate ROT or smoothbores.

While we're on the subject of what TC should have done, add .54 in 15/16" barrels and .58 and .62 in the 1" barrels.

Well, since by your own admission they're no longer actually TC's, I think from now on we should just call them "Biggs Rifles"...

Eric

IMHO T/C should have gone to an auction house and bought a good example of a flintlock rifle from some historical period - Rev War, 1812, fur trade, whichever - and copied the physical style but applied their modern investment casting and electron-beam welding techniques to the mechanical design.

whaiif.jpg

Circulate this, even send it to TC! I wonder what they'd say if they got about 2,000 orders. :rotf:

Stumpkiller said:
IMHO T/C should have gone to an auction house and bought a good example of a flintlock rifle from some historical period - Rev War, 1812, fur trade, whichever - and copied the physical style but applied their modern investment casting and electron-beam welding techniques to the mechanical design.

whaiif.jpg

I posted that here on April 1st about six years ago.

Just think if Warren Center actually used a Hawken or a J.P. Henry as his pattern and followed it closely. Or even a M1803.

For all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these, 'It might have been'.

-- John Greenleaf Whittier

No kidding! And he influenced lots of other designs with that choice.

I have an Investarms 58 cal Hawken from the early days of the TC Hawken, and you have to look twice to make sure it's not a TC, right down to the brass trim and patch box. With its 15/16" barrel it's lots lighter, and thankfully differs from the TC in one important regard. Its comb is lower and doesn't bite my cheekbone, even with heavier recoil. I can only imagine what it would look like if Investarms wasn't trying so hard to imitate Warren Center's brainstorm.

Nice work on the T/Cs Ernie. :thumbsup:

BrownBear said:
I have an Investarms 58 cal Hawken from the early days of the TC Hawken, and you have to look twice to make sure it's not a TC, right down to the brass trim and patch box.
... I can only imagine what it would look like if Investarms wasn't trying so hard to imitate Warren Center's brainstorm.

A GPR. :wink:

Jethro224 said:
BrownBear said:
I have an Investarms 58 cal Hawken from the early days of the TC Hawken, and you have to look twice to make sure it's not a TC, right down to the brass trim and patch box.
... I can only imagine what it would look like if Investarms wasn't trying so hard to imitate Warren Center's brainstorm.

A GPR. :wink:

But dang.... They didn't get around to a 58 cal GPR before the world switched to 1" barrels. Now THAT is my dream GPR!

Hmmmmmmm. Wait a minute. Tangs match.... Ummm, swap out the brass ramrod pipes and maybe adjust the under rib. It's got a single wedge, but....

Aw man.... I think I'll just leave the barrel where it is! :idunno:

Stumpkiller said:

:dead: Haven't we killed this sorry beast yet?

Latest posts

Back