• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifle scabbard

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunder14

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Need some input on what would be the best material to make a scabbard from.its for my T/C Hawken 50 cal. I would like to try wool think it would give a little better protection than leather could be wrong so if anyone has made one i would like your opinion.Thank you

Need some input on what would be the best material to make a scabbard from.its for my T/C Hawken 50 cal. I would like to try wool think it would give a little better protection than leather could be wrong so if anyone has made one i would like your opinion.Thank you

Generally rifle scaffords are made to be used for horseback, is that what you wish?

Use makes a big difference.

Horse back, needs to be leather.

I got a handful of the canvas covers/socks from TOW. Perfect for my needs.
Generally rifle scaffords are made to be used for horseback, is that what you wish?

Use makes a big difference.

Horse back, needs to be leather.
Yes this wont be for horseback more of a storage and transport scabbard.I want to make it myself and i have seen some out of wool that looked very good.just seeing if people were happy with the wool ones.

TOW sells canvas lined horse blanket sleeves. A little pricey but excellent protection for your muzzleloader’s.

Of course you stated that you wanna make your own sleeve. I definitely imagine it’d be easy enough to make one yourself?

Let us know how you turn out my friend?

Respectfully, Cowboy

a storage and transport scabbard.I want to make it myself and i have seen some out of wool that looked very good.

Yes, those wool sleeves can look good carrying around at ronny. But....make that.....BUT.....wool retains moisture. Do not store your rifle in one overnight, especially if you are sleeping in a canvas lodge. The rust you will find on yer rifle gun in the a.m. will make you cry. They are good for short term storage only and for show. Don't tell anyone ;) but I use, and like, a cloth sleeve that is made from a synthetic fleece and is silicone treated. It is thick and gives nice protection and the weave allows it to breath. No rust. And it looks like grey wool.

Back