• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifle Identification Help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmon

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I bought these two rifles at auction. I want to learn more about them. the first rifle says Joseph manton and second one says J Priest Grafton St. Ohio. Rifle 2 is significantly heavier. What kind of rifles are they? How old? Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_7440.jpeg
    IMG_7440.jpeg
    904.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7441.jpeg
    IMG_7441.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7443.jpeg
    IMG_7443.jpeg
    972.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7444.jpeg
    IMG_7444.jpeg
    985.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7448.jpeg
    IMG_7448.jpeg
    757.2 KB · Views: 0
#2 looks like a well made target rifle with turned muzzle. One of the more knowledgeable guys may know more on the maker. Bore size?

The first one was originally a flintlock. Sometime in the past it was converted to percussion. I wonder if the name "Joseph Manton" on the lock is the Joseph Manton who was a very prominent gunsmith in England from about the 1780's into the early 1800's. He was especially noted for his dueling pistols, shotguns, and he also had a lot to do with developing artillery shells.
Anyway, that first gun appears to me to be a cobbled up thing made from various old parts. I can't be sure from the photo, but it looks like a smoothbore (shotgun) to me.

The second gun appears to be a nice percussion target rifle of the mid 1800's time period. I don't know the name "J. Priest", but the style of the gun does look to me like what is sometimes called an "Ohio Rifle".
Someone can probably look up the Priest name and maybe confirm his time as a gunsmith.

There were two gunsmiths named Priest working in Cleveland OH. Joseph Priest and Josiah Priest. Both had moved to Detroit MI by 1850: some feel they might have been father and son, though no records exist for either one past 1857, so J. Priest could be one and the same person.

The rifle is marked with the words Grafton St so while the rifle could have been made in Grafton OH (about 40 miles from the original city of Cleveland) it is likely there was a Grafton Street which no longer exists today, or was re-named at some point.

There were not many gunsmiths in Cleveland OH at any time during the 1800's.

You rifle is a good quality picket rifle likely from the 1840's. If it has target sights or at one time had them it would be a target rifle. If not it would have been a hunting rifle. Not all picket rifles were used to target shoot, as many used the picket bullet because it was heavier, would shoot flatter and had more killing power than a round ball.

Nice rifle, enjoy it!

There were two gunsmiths named Priest working in Cleveland OH. Joseph Priest and Josiah Priest. Both had moved to Detroit MI by 1850: some feel they might have been father and son, though no records exist for either one past 1857, so J. Priest could be one and the same person.

The rifle is marked with the words Grafton St so while the rifle could have been made in Grafton OH (about 40 miles from the original city of Cleveland) it is likely there was a Grafton Street which no longer exists today, or was re-named at some point.

There were not many gunsmiths in Cleveland OH at any time during the 1800's.

You rifle is a good quality picket rifle likely from the 1840's. If it has target sights or at one time had them it would be a target rifle. If not it would have been a hunting rifle. Not all picket rifles were used to target shoot, as many used the picket bullet because it was heavier, would shoot flatter and had more killing power than a round ball.

Nice rifle, enjoy it!
Wow that’s great info. How did you find out about who J Priest is?

Based on my original early John Manton percussion, the other Manton’s I’ve handled and the 2 Vol books on Manton - the Op is Belgium made imported lock (imposter) and nothing to do with Joseph.
IMG_1490.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow that’s great info. How did you find out about who J Priest is?
I've been collecting and studying Ohio rifles for a while now, but know people who have far more knowledge on the subject than I'll ever have!

Back