• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WANTED Rifle barrel or parts rifle wanted

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an older traditions percussion rifle made from a kit in .50 CL.
Guessing 20 or more years old. Hook type. 28 inch.

I have been working on the barrel as it was clogged with grease and a felt pad and some powder. I think the bullet was pulled but the rest was abandoned. I have almost all the gunk out but it is still clogged in the drum i am guessing. Firing a cap does not displace any air.

The nipple is stuck and the drum screw is buggered.

As i continue to slowly work on this barrel, i thought i would see if anyone has a replacement barrel or an ugly rifle with a good barrel that i could also use as a parts gun.

I called Deer Creek about the CVA frontier barrel they have but the person who answered the phone said it would not fit.

Thanks for looking.

Wheelman.

I have had the same experience numerous times (why don't black powder shooter clean after use?). I would soak the breech plug area in Kroil for about a week then see if the nipple will come out. If not, then the same treatment for the nipple as for the cleanout screw, start with a small drill and center the hole then get a little larger drill, repeat till you almost touch the threads, use oil again then an easyout. Good luck steg49

I have a traditions St Louis Hawken 28" barrel, hook breech in the white unused.

PM me if interested

20230729_141310.jpg

There are several threads on stuck nipples. Do a search and you find enough reading for a week. When you get the nipple out use an air compressor to try to blow the obstruction out and if that fails get a grease zerk that fits the nipple threads and use a grease gun to push the offending stuff out. Messy but your bore may be fine.

Back