• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Richland Arms Michigan Flinter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdery

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello... I have a Richland Arms Michigan Flinter, and may need a new frizzen for it.
It was made in Italy, and Richland Arms is, of course, deceased.
Does anyone know what Italian company may have made my .50 rifle?
Or, maybe better, where can I go to get a replacement frizzen?
Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks, Stubert..... I have, and did get an offer to try to match the frizzen if I send it in, which I may do. I'm going to try kasenit first... the one I have just doesn't spark.

My Richland arms double SxS 12 gauge was made by Pedroseli. I bought it new in 1971 for $150.00. :v

Question, before you try anything. Is it not sparking because it's too hard, or too soft. Too soft and flints dig in. Too hard flints just scratch and don't shave metal. A file will tell you which it is. Annealing will solve too hard. 400 degrees for 1 1/2 hours in the oven will do it. Too soft then hardening or casenite with annealing will do it.

Bill

Thanks, Ohio... I hope that is the maker!

Bill - I'm now confused. I assumed that it was too soft.... is it common for flints to be too hard? How do I tell with a file?

Thanks again,
Stan

Yes it's very common to get too hard of a frizzen. They are supposed to be hardened then annealed to get them to proper final hardness, over hardness will keep them from shaving metal, thus sparks. Too soft will have the flint just gouging the frizzen face. File test for too hard is easy, the file won't cut any metal. To anneal put the frizzen on a cookie sheet in a 375 to 400 degree oven for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, then turn the oven off and remove it only when it slow cools to room temp. That's all you need to do. Casenite hardening will work, but only for a while, as you will be removing the hardening as you use the lock, and it's only on the surface, and may have to be redone after a while. Not really a big deal.

Bill

Thanks again.... appreciate the clarification.
It is definitely too soft.

If the Kasenit doesn't work or last to my satisfaction, I just learned of a local gunsmith that can harden it... unless you have a good do-it-yourself solution!

It's a pretty rifle... along the lines of a Kentucky... just won't spark worth a darn. I love my TC flinter... that thing is fun. Some day I hope to get a full stock squirrel gun... but that may have to wait until college and weddings are past-tense expenses.

Thanks again!
S

OK... I've tried hardening my frizzen with Kasenit, and it is still soft, and produces ZERO spark.... I think I'm down to two options.... which is best?

1. Send it to Dixie Gun Works and see if they can find one that will fit
or
2. Take it to a local gunsmith who I am told can do hardening

Any thoughts?

Take it to the local smith.
Often the frizzens from Dixie are not hardened so they can be hand fitted to the lock so you end up having to harden anyway.
In my experiance, it's far better to save a frizzen by half soleing w/ a thin section of a small (6" or 4") single cut mill file. Do all of the shaping with bare fingers and keep a bucket of water close to the grinder. Also grind the face of the frizzen flat. Attach the sole w/ low temp (400­­°F)silver bearing solder. The frizzen will then out last you.
Jon D

yes... it is producing gouge marks on the frizzen.

I ended up sending it in to DGW, not realizing that if I do get a replacement that fits, it too will be soft... so, if it also needs hardening, I'll have our local guy do both for me.

Thanks much for all the input! I think I'll take out my T/C this weekend and enjoy shooting a fire stick that actually works!

Update -

Dixie Gun Works took good care of me!
I sent in my old, soft frizzen to DGW, and asked if they would look for a match. They ended-up hardening the frizzen for me, and it works great - and that good service earned DGW a loyal customer.

This is customer service that seems to be lost to so many these days. I know that in the muzzle loading world, people tend to have old fashioned ethics, but it is wonderful to experience such classic business practices which are, today, so rare.

Thanks again to you that responded with suggestions for help.. it truly did assist me.

So.. happy ending, and will be doing more business with Dixie Gun Works!

Back