• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Richard London 41

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Barrel ribs only lift when there is a build up of rust under the ribs the only cure is to remove the ribs and part the barrels to clean , Check the barrels to see if loaded then remove the breech plugs clean and lap the bores to a good finish also any pits and reassembly. You will find on 99%of English made guns that the ribs are soldered but on some Belgian made they are brazed
Also remember when doing restoration a gun that is 150 years plus should look its age and not something straight of the shelf, another thing always stick too the original and not add extras to it such has carvings , brass inlays and black or blue barrels Enclosed are images of one of the many gun restoration which can be saved and brought back too life and not gone for scrap.
FeltwadView attachment 221066
View attachment 221068
View attachment 221069
The Finish Job
View attachment 221070
That looks really incredible! I tried for a good while soldering it, but believe the solder might be bad, if thats possible(fiance was having a hard time working on a stain glass project as well) I'm going to get hate for it, and might regret it later, but did a modern repair with a clear jb weld that's rated for 3900 psi. Not far off what solder gets too. I want to keep it antique looking, but don't plan on ever selling it and the heirs to the thing were present and pestering me to get it done. Probably not the best way to takle it, but have read other forums of it being used on modern shotguns that are going through a lot more stress than the 30-40 grains of powder I plan on using.

Not taking safety advice can be disastrous however it is obvious you are going to proceed and ignore the cautions so good luck.
Guns store opens in a half hour, plan on taking it there and seeing if they would look it over. It's really not in all that bad of shape, could be the pictures I posted make it look worse than it is?

Well folks, made it with all digits and eyes. Was able to get one barrel to fire with 30 grains of fff. Believe my powder was iffy (as in a flask in my truck for the better part of 2 years)

Hey all, just got both hammers and triggers functioning on my new to me Richard's sxs 16 gauge. Only number found was 41 in the lock. Am pondering taking it out for a test fire tomorrow with some fff black powder (all I have on hand) However the ends of the barrels are a little messed up, would you be comfortable shooting it? Planning on keeping it at 30-40 grains to start with. A portion of the barrel band on the underside is also loose after one of the ramrod slots.
I’d have one of the neighbor kids shoot it….

There was also another English made W Richards, I believe a cousin of Westley Richards. There should be more markings on the gun signifying Westley Richards if it is one of his. The lockplates should be marked on the outside with his name as well as the rib. There should be a serial number of the gun on the trigger guard, the bottom of the barrels and on the inside of the lockplates and the numbers should all match.

Back