• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Revolver- Cast Or Swaged Balls?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While Hornady balls are quite consistant in weight (compared to other brands) they do vary slightly in diameter/roundness from my measurements. They are the best of the commercial lot however.

Personally I prefer the ones I cast myself. I am careful about alloy and temperature. I weigh and sort them afterwards, eliminating any that are outside my parameters.

I load all cast round balls sprue up because this is the only way to be sure it is centered. A slight imperfection, void, or spongy area (that could be expected where the sprue solidified) exactly centered on the ball's axis has no effect on accuracy. Move that light spot off-center a couple of degrees and start counting the fliers!

Blizzard of 93 said:
I shoot cast balls (as pure lead as I can get) out of my '58 Rem and ROA. swaged (I bought some Hornadys) don't do any better.

Agreed - but one other point only marginally touched on by one poster is the high cost of swaged balls compared with home-cast.

Here in UK a box of 100 Hornady swaged .457" balls costs almost $21.

For that cost [the electricity used to melt the lead] I can cast about 10,000 balls.

Never paid for lead in my life - almost a quarter ton of it came out of our old house many years ago when it was converted to copper water plumbing, so it's a no-brainer for me.

tac

Latest posts

Back