• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Out of Round balls.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick_1

45 Cal.
Reaction score
My aluminum Lee .490 mold is casting out of round. I cleaned it as best that i could with wire brush. still when you hold it up to the light while holding it shut I can see light through the seam. the balls have a noticable seam around them. I promptly oredered a new mold but rather than toss the balls i had just cast back in the pot i decided to shoot them. I did not punch any paper but did hit my 5" steel plate 4 out of 5 times off hand at 30yrds. then I took a single shot at my 50 yrd 6" plate and hit it. dosent mean all that much with a pistol that is capable of sub 2" groups @ 50 yrds benched but still interesting. I think you would have to sandbag it to get accurate information on the difference between swaged, cast and poorly cast balls. it dosent seem to be a wild obvious these dont shoot well situation.

I put my misshapen balls in a box and roll the box around in my hands.

Allowing the balls to bump into each other.

This smooths everything out and makes them look like golf balls.

I found that if I close the mold carefully and hold it in front of the work light to be sure that I have a good seal that it does just fine.

Back