• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rev War pistol questions...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rock rat

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hey all...rockrat here. Been away a bit. Got a question about TVM pistols. I have a beautiful TVM early VA that I simply love. My question is about time period regarding the TVM Tenn. pistol. About what time period would this pistol have shown up? Would it be P/C for a backwoods Rev War militia type? I am interested on building this pistol, but am feeling it is from a later period, like early 1800s. Thanks for your thoughts and insights. Take care.

I agree with your thoughts that it is a later period style - most likely early 19th century. Good for 1812 period reenacting perhaps but not AWI.

I have looked at a lot of Tennessee rifles over the past 50 odd years and a very few pistols most of which were small derringer and pocket pistols,with back action locks.I pulled Jerry Noble's excellent four volume set of books and I cannot say that I have ever seen a Tennessee pistol either personaly or pictured with the butt architecture shown by the TVM picture. I do not pretend to say that such architecture does not exist only that it would be highly unusual.Sam Dyke's little book on Kentucky pistols shows the silver mounted Baxter Bean pistols in the Tennessee State Museum and Jerry shows a pair of pistols and a single pistol attributed to one of the Bulls probably John Bull.These three pistols and the Baxter Bean pistols are probably among the earliest Tennessee pistols of which I am aware and I would date all five in the first quarter of the 19th century. There is extant a pair of Pistols by Robert Bean of Washington County,Tennessee from the same period. These pistols were separated and later reunited by the late Robin Hale. I never saw them but they were stylistically related to the Baxter Bean pistols according to Robin.

Aside from the architectural aspect I have never seen personally or by picture a Tennessee gun with a Germanic lock as seen on the TVM gun.As always I do not pretend to infer that such Germanic locks were "never" used only that in all my collecting and studying Tennessee guns I have yet to see an original Germanic lock on a Tennessee gun.
As always I welcome any responsible opposing comment. :hmm: :v
Tom Patton

PICT0369-1_zps0acae2d1.jpg

This pistol is a match (wood, lock, caliber) for my EL. I chose the earlier stock design but neglected to specify a lock. Basically it's a horse pistol; much too large for personal carry. As a result I'm considering purchasing a c&b revolver. This pistol, by the way, is fantastically accurate, if inconvenient to shoot.

Back