• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rethinking clean-up of my GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Like many of you, I removed the GPR bbl. from the stock and the lock from its mortice to clean them after a day's shooting. While neither was much of a chore, it dawned on me that removing and reseating the bbl. and wedges might "loosen things up" so to speak and degrade accuracy a bit. I now strive to clean the bbl. without removing the wedges and bbl. itself from the stock and things (accuracy) seem to be VG -> excellent. One other idea: if you do remove the bbl., try wrapping the protruding part of the bbl. that fits into the tang with the thicker (yellow container) teflon tape to keep things tight. Try it: I think you'll like it!

Last edited:
I've been waiting on the mood to shoot my Lyman Trade Rifle again for about a month now after cleaning it like I would a pinned barrel ML.
The reason? Those first two high shots. The next seven were in that one ragged hole.
IMG_2204.jpg

No difference here.
First three shots were high. But I did pull the third shot and the elevation was better.
Then I put one in just left of the bull.

For the heck of it I shot some LGP conicals using the same 70 grains, one left and a little low, one right and a little low.
I walked up to the target about 15yds away, the distance my shot will most likely be if the deer approaches my stand, and shot a third conical. Bullseye.

Maybe it just takes my eyes a few shots to start focusing on the sights :ghostly:
I better go for a lung shot :thumb:

9-11-23.jpg

I always take the barrel off to clean on my hooked breech models. Never felt the need to tighten things up. Perhaps I need to rethink?

mh52, I started doing the above in part because of accuracy concerns (stock, wedge, hook breech interaction) and convenience, or perhaps laziness. Everything is clean and rust free with no accuracy issues, but the weather hasn't been conducive to any kind of shooting lately.

I've always taken the barrels out of any hooked breech gun. It's a habit I got into with years of shooting a TC Hawken. It doesn't seem to have any effect on accuracy for me. Same with a GPR. A consideration for the tc is the lock can't be removed without removing the barrel. I'm sure there are varying opinions on this, but my locks are always removed to clean, so......

None of my rifles have accuracy issues. If groups open up I would not hesitate to tighten up the barrel to stock. As such, if it ain't broke...

Just wondering about the Old West and before; black powder guns get un-usable fast without cleaning; imagine the hardships old muzzle loaders and cartridge guns went through in the hands of the Native Indians. Can't believe they were doing "detail cleaning" after every usage. That's probably why any truly "Indian Used" firearms from history are in such bad shape.

If it has a hooked breech I remove the barrel for cleaning. If it has a pinned barrel I clean it in place.

Back