• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

results from my new trades rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

douglas duncan

36 Cal.
Reaction score
well after messing around with some loads I ended up with 50 grns for 25 yards shots ( practice and shooting for fun loads)
and 80 grns for hunting, sight in at 50 yards rifle will hit at six o-clock at 50 yrds, and dead on with the front bead at 100 yards. incidentally the the front bead with cover a 6" circle at 100 yards. this all from my Lyman trades rifle in 54 cal. shooting .530 round balls and using pyrodex. I do not now the patch thickness, but from looking at some patches in the field the edges were frayed some and all in tack. been making my own patches and using moose snot and juice for lube.
here are some targets to look at
this is at 25 yards
100_0777.jpg

first 50 and 100 yard targets
100_0780.jpg

100_0773.jpg

I then moved the sights over to the left some and the results. seemed 50 yrds still pretty much the same. the 100 moved over more to the center I like this much better now just need to tighten up the groups a little.
100_0776.jpg

100_0775.jpg

That's some darn good shooting. With iron sights you can't ask for better than that at 100 yards. I'd hate to be a deer in your woods this fall.

HD

I am just use to having all the shots in the black from my high power rifles. all in the black will be great for a muzzle loader. thanks for the encouragement.

Three words of advice...Practice, Practice,Practice. Btw thats some pretty darn good shootin at 100yards with iron sights. Most men wouldn't be that good with even a scoped rifle
My two cents
Highlander

Your 100 yd targets look like my 25 yd targets. :thumbsup:
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We
didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought
for, protected, and handed on to them to do the same. Ronald Reagan

Thats Great for Iron sites! If you want better put a scope on it.... :rotf: jest kidding!!!!
I would Never advise anyone to attach a scope to a muzzleloader...Geeeez

Very nice groups. I have been trying to do that well since 1966. :thumbsup: Now work on your loading from the pouch and the use of the muzzle loader in the field under bad conditions. That is snow and wet.

Back