• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rescued a abused 1858 Remington

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
While going through my late Uncle's collection I came across an 1858 with target sights that wasn't properly cleaned and it looked like some idiot used a claw hammer to get it apart. I decided to keep it like I would an old, stray dog. Besides, no one would pay any money for it. Got it apart and with TLC, a belt grinder and precision filing got it workable again. Took her to the range today and she must have appreciated it as the grouping was really good except when I pulled the shot by not paying attention. As far as I am concerned, she will accompany me on camping, prospecting/mining and atv trips from here on out. Silly? Maybe. Sometimes a gun just "speaks" to you.

Attachments

• 20210818_101408.jpg
    20210818_101408.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 215
  • 20210818_120637.jpg
    20210818_120637.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 201
  • 20210818_104509.jpg
    20210818_104509.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Very pleased with it. Thinking about trying conical bullets. Not sure how much more accurate it would make it.
Good job with the old stray dog.

Have typically found roundballs to be a bit more accurate than conicals in my cap and ball revolvers, but you won’t know which is more accurate in a particular gun until you try. Roundballs in my 58s seemed to be the happiest and most accurate over 20-25 grains of powder with a wad or filler to get the ball close to the mouth of the chamber. But for a field carry gun, looks like you are there.

Good job with the old stray dog.

Have typically found roundballs to be a bit more accurate than conicals in my cap and ball revolvers, but you won’t know which is more accurate in a particular gun until you try. Roundballs in my 58s seemed to be the happiest and most accurate over 20-25 grains of powder with a wad or filler to get the ball close to the mouth of the chamber. But for a field carry gun, looks like you are there.
When I was a kid my father had a Uberti Colt army 44. Conicals drove him crazy because he figured they HAD to be more accurate. I think I will stay with what works, RBs.

Maybe. Sometimes a gun just "speaks" to you.
That's exactly what my oldest (almost forty years) Tryon Pedersoli does, the new one doesn't talk yet, fortunately, it's the only one of my rifles that does that, because if they all did it, it would be pretty uncomfortable... ;)

Last edited:
Was there rust in the bore? If yes, what did you do to handle?
The grips were about the only thing that was not damaged. The only significant rust was in the forcing cone. There is some very light "pitting" in the bore but stops about an inch and a half from the muzzle. Apparently that is as far as the previous owner could squirt wd40.

I've shot RBs and Lyman 450229 hollow-based conicals from my Uberti 1858 and saw no difference in accuracy over full charges of Swiss fffg. The conical was 25-30gr heavier the RB and shot to the same POI at 25 yards.

Was there rust in the bore? If yes, what did you do to handle?
More details: I did the only thing I could and used a copper bore brush and bore cleaner and scrubbed the devil out of it. Fortunately the pitting isn't too deep and the last part of the barrel and muzzle are in good shape. All your accuracy is in the crown of the muzzle. I think I will leave the dings in the metal alone as they are only cosmetic and speaks to her history.

More details: I did the only thing I could and used a copper bore brush and bore cleaner and scrubbed the devil out of it. Fortunately the pitting isn't too deep and the last part of the barrel and muzzle are in good shape. All your accuracy is in the crown of the muzzle. I think I will leave the dings in the metal alone as they are only cosmetic and speaks to her history.
I believe the Pedersoli '58s had gain twist rifling.

Gain twist is a type of rifling where the rate of turn increases as it goes down the barrel. Basically it goes from slow (like 1 turn in 60") to fast (like 1 turn in 30") before the barrel ends. Was believed to have advantages in sealing and accuracy if I remember right............... P.S. those are numbers as an example of the concept, don't recall the actual rates on any of the guns that used the system.

Gain twist is a type of rifling where the rate of turn increases as it goes down the barrel. Basically it goes from slow (like 1 turn in 60") to fast (like 1 turn in 30") before the barrel ends. Was believed to have advantages in sealing and accuracy if I remember right............... P.S. those are numbers as an example of the concept, don't recall the actual rates on any of the guns that used the system.
Ok, like the Italian Carcano from WW2. Thanks.

Back