• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Replica Arms Wesson Rifle.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I have just taken delivery of a very nice Replica Arms Wesson Rifle in .45 cal. I took it to the range yesterday and it shoots pretty well despite needing a good deep clean. It has a beryllium nipple (?) made to fit musket caps which I find a chore to use, does anyone have a similar rifle or know the correct size nipple thread on this gun?
I notice TOW can supply replacements to fit No 11 caps and I've got it out and tried to measure it but can't decide if it's metric or imperial thread as it's very close to both. With my gauges anyway!

Number 11 caps should perform quite fine with the proper nipple. Are you using black powder or a substitute. If you use a substitute powder, then a magnum cap may be of benefit.

The best way to determine the threads is to take that musket nlpple to a hardware store and use their thread gauges to determine the threads. You will have to be a bit careful and not force the nipple on the gauge.

Those musket caps get expensive and provide little benefit in performance other than being easy to handle. Do get a good caper. I like the Ted Cash oval capper.

The rifle was originally designed to use musket caps - so why change something that is proven to work? The large charges often used in these iconic rifles needs a serious light-up that no #11 can deliver.

Number 11 caps should perform quite fine with the proper nipple. Are you using black powder or a substitute. If you use a substitute powder, then a magnum cap may be of benefit.

The best way to determine the threads is to take that musket nlpple to a hardware store and use their thread gauges to determine the threads. You will have to be a bit careful and not force the nipple on the gauge.

Those musket caps get expensive and provide little benefit in performance other than being easy to handle. Do get a good caper. I like the Ted Cash oval capper.

I've got one of those Polish cappers made for No 11's, it's brilliant and I use No 11's for everything else I shoot so wanted to keep everything the same. I only use Black Powder, mostly Swiss. The gun has a very short barrel (24") so I am only using a light load at 25 metres with the occasional shoot at 50 metres. I have a set of thread gauges (Retired Mechanic) but it's almost too close to call between 5/16" x 18 tpi and 8mm x 1.5mm.

The rifle was originally designed to use musket caps - so why change something that is proven to work? The large charges often used in these iconic rifles needs a serious light-up that no #11 can deliver.
It's a .45 with a really short barrel (24") and will only ever be used at 25/50 metres. I am currently using 25 grains of Swiss 2 which is grouping really well despite the nipple which is pretty worn. It needs to be changed and my idea was to get something that will use a No 11 cap. like all the other percussion guns in the cabinet!

Same as Cowboy. Have Zouave and use #11 primers with Pyrodex "p" and no issues. Take the nipple to local hardware store and use their thread board to see what it is. TOW has very good application discription on their parts.
24" barrel. I'd use 50-70 gns behind a PRB. 28" 45 1:48 twist usually shoots good with 70.

Back