• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

removing nipples

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flintlockmdj

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a '51 colt navy .44 cal that I traded for that was owned by an ACW reenactor. Other than needing a good cleaning it is in good condition but the nipples have apparently never been removed. They have defied all efforts to get them out. I have soaked them in three different penetrating oils and broken two wrenches but they have not moved. HELP PLEASE

Have you tried heating the cylinder around the nipple with a torch?
Heat it up, tap the nipple with a small hammer to loosen it and try to turn it with a wrench.
If you do get them out, put anti-seize grease on the threads when you re-install them.

HD

Get a good quality wrench, first off. The cheapies tend to break easily.

Heating the cylinder should work as it expands the metal around the threads.

One thing I've discovered about anti-seize is that stuff still seizes! I've had nipples and shotgun chokes seize even when liberally coated. What I've found that works is Tetra grease. The teflon particles in it doesn't seem to let things seize as easily.

Wouldn't surprise me that you got it from a civil war reenactor. They take the worst care of weapons of anyone I know. How do I know this? I am one and at times like this ashamed to admit it. :redface: Most revolvers that are used in civil war events are by officers. And they use them as costume pieces. So they never load them. Here is thier reasoning. "My men are my weapons, if the enemy gets that close for me to pull a pistol it's generaly to late". So there are some good to excellant weapons out there goin to waste. :confused:

Yes this particular one was the worst in our unit.
I was armorer for the unit and his wepons were alwayse dirty, he also had more experience in reenacting than most of the rest of us, go figure.

heat the cylinder to around 200 d. in an oven or careful torch use. spray PB Blaster around the nipple and let it soak awhile then give 'em another shot of PB. soak awhile then try backing them out.

Back