• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Refinnish a GPR stock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N.Y. Yankee

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have an older Great Plains Rifle and the stock is plain walnut with a very dark finish. I'm used to stock refinnishing. If I sand the wood bare, will the color lighten some and show the grain more? I'd like to sand it down and finish with Tru Oil.

Last edited:
It will change a bit lighter, while you're at it consider taking some files to it and put that wood on a diet, GPR's have too much wood on the wrist and fore stock area.
I like my stock fit the way it is. The only wood work I will be doing is to sand out or at least soften a few scratches and dings.
After disassemble rub it down well with acetone and paper towels. Then do the file work to include under the cheek piece and trim the comb. I also straightened the toe line a bit.
IMG_1292 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
Thats a good looking piece of walnut Phil. Thanks for the tip on the acetone. I have a bunch of it so we'll get out the rags and have a go at it.

I am interested in this. I have contemplated doing mine to remove material around the tang, triggerplate, and eschutzeans but I have zero experience with refinishing a stock.

Like yours, my GPR had a muddy brown finish. I stripped mine and painted it flat black. Lightly sanded that off and rubbed BLO. This is after the refinish. Can’t find any before pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0129.jpeg
    IMG_0129.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
I am interested in this. I have contemplated doing mine to remove material around the tang, triggerplate, and eschutzeans but I have zero experience with refinishing a stock.
Slow and easy. Start with fine cut tools and gentle pressure. follow the lines like your life depends on it. Pay attention. Think twice, cut once. Once you put the stain on, its tough to get off. Use finer grit sandpaper at first til you get the hang of it. You need to have a way to hold the piece firmly so it wont rock around. Make small wood sanding blocks and wrap the paper around that. Also different size dowel rods to wrap paper around for curved areas. Take it slow with files and scrapers. 1 or 2 light strokes then check your work. Take your time and think it through!

Latest posts

Back