• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Refinished my GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustyh

40 Cal.
Reaction score
After 20+ years of use I decided my factory blued GPR need a makeover. I stripped the stock and refinished it using a meduim walnut danish oil, I draw filed the barrel to remove all the factory stampings and removed all the blueing from the metal parts and refished with several coats of Plum Brown, also installed new sights. Here are some pics.

I'll take some tomorrow, they are from Log Cabin Shop the rear is the flat top p/n 50024 and the front is a .085 silver blade on brass p/n 50080. The rear is actually wider than it looks on the web site and is a little taller than the stock fixed rear sight.

How did you heat the barrel for the Plum Brown application? How many applications did you do to get that even finish?

I used a propane torch. I have a 4ft piece of 7/16th aluminum rod that I clamped in a vice and slid the barrel on untill it bottomed against the breech plug, I rotated and heated (ran the torch back and forth along the barrel) for about 10 min's or so until a drop of water would sizzle then applied the Plum Brown in long even strokes, do not rub back and forth. I applied 4 coats after the barrel cooled I cleaned the with cool soapy water then soaked it for 3 days in ATF fluid (used a piece of 2in PVC capped at one end).

I have never used plum brown but am planning to shortly. When you say you applied 4 coats did you heat it up 4 different times and then apply the browning or heat it up once and hit it with 4 coats. Would think you had to heat it up each time but not sure. Your GPR looks great.

Thanks.

Dave

That looks amazing. I am loving that front sight! Plum brown is easy to use but a propane torch is a must. The key is to get the chemical to "dance" on the hot barrel as it sizzles. The barrel doesn't need to be red hot. A pair of medical forceps is ideal to hold the cloth swab in. I like the way you held your barrel on the pipe but remember to seal off the bore with cloth or plug or it will rust too.

I had good results by rubbing it down with an ammonia soaked rag to get it to stop rusting after the final coat. Without that it just kept on browning. I read up as much as I could before staring the process. Degreasing before the first coat is critical.

You know what, there are so many GPR owners here that a thread needs to be started of photos of members with their trusty GPR's?

Wow, that's a nice rifle! I'm starting to think I need to build me a GPR, what scares me is I've heard there quality has gone down hill a bit.

I just sold my GPR,mine was done as a kit and the quality overall was pretty good. But youd get much farther ahead by buying a finished rifle. If I did it again id buy a finished gun and strip it. the kits are so-so...some alignment issues, had to ahve the lock tuned..and inletting wasnt the best

Latest posts

Back