• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WITHDRAWN Reduced .50 Southern Mountain Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Reduced again. This ones genesis is unclear. Either the builder used Dixie Tennessee Mountain Rifle hardware or started with a Dixie Rifle and made significant upgrades. The 41" barrel is a custom .50 with 1:66 twist. Bore is very good with some dust. The lock is similar to, but a little larger than the NOS Dixie lock I have. (Note: Some photos before broken frizzen spring was replaced). Set triggers definitely Dixie style. Stock is typical SMR, so hard to tell. Atypical of the Dixie rifles, this one has an oval patchbox and steel nosecap. Overall the rifle is in excellent condition. Negatives: The frizzen has been repaired and sparks well. Rifle comes with spare frizzen already hardened and fitted to lock. Small crack at lock screw. Weighs in at about 9 lbs. $700 + Shipping.

20231108_125824.jpg
20231108_130040.jpg
20231108_130046.jpg
20231108_130003.jpg
20231109_094817.jpg
20231108_125846.jpg
20231108_125911.jpg
20231108_125920.jpg
20231108_125840.jpg

Attachments

• 20231108_125846.jpg
    20231108_125846.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
A note on this one. You set trigger before cocking, another indication it is a custom gun.
View attachment 273208

just curious what you mean by you set the trigger before cocking. I never do it that way… but all my rifles can be set before or after. My CVA rifles and my semi custom from TVM can do it either way. Do you mean this rifle can’t be set after cocking?

If it is like one of mine (not a Dixie), you can't cock the gun, half-cock or full-cock, without setting the rear trigger first. ODD at first, but you get used to it. Set the rear trigger, go to half-cock, prime or cap, then stay there until a shot is needed. Go to full cock and fire. The half-cock notch is hell for strong, so it is "safe."

ADK Bigfoot

If it is like one of mine (not a Dixie), you can't cock the gun, half-cock or full-cock, without setting the rear trigger first. ODD at first, but you get used to it. Set the rear trigger, go to half-cock, prime or cap, then stay there until a shot is needed. Go to full cock and fire. The half-cock notch is hell for strong, so it is "safe."

ADK Bigfoot
What he said. One less part in lock, whose name escapes me now. My brain is working on another problem at the moment.:p

just curious what you mean by you set the trigger before cocking. I never do it that way… but all my rifles can be set before or after. My CVA rifles and my semi custom from TVM can do it either way. Do you mean this rifle can’t be set after cocking?
It’s actually the trigger that determines this. Single lever vs double lever.
The only issue in the lock would be if the fly was present. This lock originally had a fly, unless it was lost on disassembly.
The fly prevents the trigger lever from catching the half cock notch on its way down when fired…a single lever doesn’t rebound as fast so it stays out of the way. A double will catch.
The single lever just needs to be set to make sure there’s no pressure on the sear arm as you go to full cock.
Triggers look original and I thought they had a double lever trigger as I recall but they could have been swapped or I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back