• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Recovered Patches - Whats Going On Here

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no problem with 1 3/8" in my .62s. I cut the .023" awning canvas into squares with a rolling cutter and trim the corners a little. With the crown polished to a radius the patches could be used again.

Im not sure but I would use a slightly larger patch in the pic it appears the patch barely covers the edge of the ball
Right on, that was my thought. It looks like the patch is too small. Might also be a burr, but I would try a bigger patch for sure.
Flintlocklar 🇺🇸

Patches aren't burned through and you are shooting GREAT with that load. I must be lazy cuz all I would do is crown the muzzle and not change a darn thing else.

Patches aren't burned through and you are shooting GREAT with that load. I must be lazy cuz all I would do is crown the muzzle and not change a darn thing else.

Same here. I either cut at the muzzle, except when hunting when I carry an extra 3-4 patched balls in a loading block. I still need to make one for my .45 though.

I agree with your thought, based on what we know so far. Even smooth bores will get accuracy at short ranges. When jonboyb moves out to 100 yards, then he will really know whether the patch fragmentation is affecting accuracy.
Flintlocklar 🇺🇸

@jonboyb, as many others have stated, check the crown. With some excess ticking, start the ball and push it down the barrel about an inch. Pull the ball out and look at the patch for wear and tears.

Get an inexpensive digital caliper. Measure your bore diameter from land to land and groove to groove. You shouldn't need a ball that is larger than your land to land diameter. However, if the ball and patch is that easy to load and you are getting one ragged hole at 35 yards, then I would wait on getting a larger mold until the bore is measured. That inexpensive digital caliper will be far less expensive than a new mold and you will have many other uses for the calipers.

You may also have success if you use an over powder patch. Use a1 1/4" square patch, or slightly bigger, that when folded is about bore diameter on the edge. Use just a bit of lube and let the patched ball sit on top of that. Sometimes the over powder patch provides some protection to the ball and patch.

I've have loaded several balls with .018 ticking and .020 teflon and pulled back out and have yet to reproduce any physical damage at crown. Worked in engine machining for years so calipers certainly on my bench. Bore is definitely a loose .62 but 7-land rifling so measuring also difficult without a true opposing land/groove. .610 ball with .010 cotton sheet loads with my thumb. .018 ticking and .610 ball only takes light pressure with short starter. I even pushed in stiff .020 teflon without having to bump the starter....took some omph....but no strike. Like someone said earlier, we'll see how my grouping looks at 50 - 100 yards and go from there.

If it shoots well then your problem isn't really bad. The patches are being torn by the sharp muzzle crown when the prb is started. Smooth it evenly with your thumb and sandpaper. After that a thicker patch will be easier to use and will not tear. Plus you'll likely get higher velocities and accuracy will still be great.

Back