• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rebore The 1858 Chambers?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Revolvers is revolvers and they shoot better when the bullet isn't smaller than the barrel. Has anyone tried reboring the chambers on the 1858 Pietta's to match the groove diameter or slightly over?

I have read of a few accounts in which people have done just that, and noticed a tremendous improvement in the accuracy.

If it can be done with out getting to thin I really do think it would help. In fact it sounds like a good project. My Navy Arms shaves a larger amount of lead off of a 454 ball than the Cimarron 1860 that shoots much better. It just might be a fun project and as it is it seldom gets shot since the 1860 shoots so much better. Geo. T.

Opening the chambers on my .36 Colt navy made the difference between a shooter and something to prop the back door open with.

Went .002 larger than groove diameter and made an honest pistol out of it that is a real joy to shoot now.

GoodCheer said:
Revolvers is revolvers and they shoot better when the bullet isn't smaller than the barrel. Has anyone tried reboring the chambers on the 1858 Pietta's to match the groove diameter or slightly over?

Don't know about the 58 Pietta, but I did it to an Armi San Marco Colt walker and it made a big improvement in accuracy. The difference was not more than a few thousandths of an inch to bring the chambers up to the groove diameter.

HH 60

I personally have 5 1858 Remingtons reamed to .456" and use a .457" ball. One is a Euroarms, 2 are Pietas (including a spare cylinder for one) and 2 are Ubertis. There is plenty of meat in the cylinder and they shoot better for it. Of course you have to recut the forcing cone which should be done whether the cylinders are reamed or not anyway. By the way they are reamed rather than bored as it is much simpler and leaves a much better finish.

I opened up my Pietta 58 cylinders to .450 with a reamer I made a spud for that screws into the frame after removing the barrel. It kept everything in perfect alignment and did a real nice job. I need to slug the bore an get an accurate groove diameter but think it is right at .448-.449 from what I can read from my caliper which is not an accurate way to measure ID's.
The gun has always been accurate so I couldn't tell that it improved any. MD

Back