• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

rear sight for lyman great plains rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskey

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I want to replace the adjustable rear sight on my great plains rifle with a fixed sight. I would like to find a sight with minimal work required. Does anyone make one that will tap in easily?

If you got the gun new it should have come with a fixed sight in a little plastic bag in the box. I have 3 GPR's and the very first thing I do is switch out the adjustable for the fixed sight. It has worked really well for me and it takes no fitting. Just take a punch and tap on both sides of the female lips of the dovetail to anchor it in place. DANNY

My "fixed sight" for my GPR wasn't really fixed, which is why I replaced it. IIRC, the sight in the bag wasn't really a fixed sight, although it was better than the one that came with the rifle.

Methinks you are confusing fixed sights vs. adjustable sights with various styles of sights (e.g. buckhorn vs. V-notch, vs. patridge).

It's been awhile, 20 + years, since I purchased a GPLR rifle, but my memory is that the "fixed sights" for the GPL was mounted on a high ramp. A drift adjustable, but on a ramp. I might be wrong, though. Just not a screwdriver adjustable sight.

At any rate, I replaced what I had iniitally installed as a traditional sight with a TOW firmly fixed sight.

My GPR came with a standard fixed sight in a baggy. I do not care for the adjustable one either.Just looks funny! :thumbsup:

On one GPR the barrel is a fast twist .40 bore drop-in. Haven't yet found the best sighting solution. The geometry of available tang peeps is off for the GPR. The Lyman sight used on the GPH leaves me cold. So I'm still looking.

On the .54 flinter GPR I prefer the fixed rear but maybe would like the sights low profile.

How can a fixed sight not be fixed? It is one piece, has no moving parts, like the adjustable sight does, which uses a screw to adjust the elevation. Now if it wasn't tight when you put on the barrel, that is why I suggested to the OP to tap down the lips of the female part of the dove tail with a punch to anchor it in place. DANNY

Rather than modifying the dovetail to tighten a loose sight I will only suggest modifying the least expensive part. This being the sight itself! That way if you ever decide to change the sight out, your dovetail will be the correct size. To me it only makes sense to leave the barrel as is.

That being said, I would put the sight upside down in a padded vice and with a punch tap a demple on each corner of the sight to enlarge it somewhat. Try fitting it then and see how you come out? If more enlarging is needed, just repeat the process by making demple's on different areas on the bottom of your sight until the sight tightens up and fits correctly.

Everything I've just mentioned I learned here on the forum! I will only add that I myself am guilty of screwing up a few dovetails before I learned to alter the least expensive part.

Respectfully, Cowboy :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back