• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

rear sight for brn.bess

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwtradegun

50 Cal.
Reaction score
looking for abase I can solder onto the rear of the barrel to mount a sight. any info will held.
the base would be dovetailed for adjt.

I added a rear sight to my French 1843 musket. Found a dovetail base on e-bay that was made to be soldered on to a round barrel. Will you need one to be mounted on a flat or round surface.

I think I found one that may work at Midway, but it was made for a flat surface, will have to look again.

I dont know how it would work for your eyes, dont think it would work for mine, but I have seen several besses (Repro not origanals)with a small brass sight brased to the tang.

RJ,

Before you drop the coin for a permanent rear sight, or even for one that is secured with screws...

Please consider getting a 1/2" Brass L Bracket and put that under the tang screw to create a rear sight / ghost ring for your gun. That way you can test if a rear sight will help you enough to warrant the work.

Some people have found that this DIY rear sight works just fine for tightening the groups in their smooth bores, and no further work is needed, plus you haven't really modified the gun from it's original form, so no worries if resale ever becomes an option.

Also if you get no change in your results after adding it...it may mean you need to work on your loadings first, before you add the expense of modifying your gun.

LD

Thanks Dave, this thread is going straight to my favorites...I definitely will try the L bracket on my Bess Fowler that's in the works, and on my musketoon next time at the range.
There has to be a way to guesstimate where to drill the first hole...any ideas? :hmm:

Eterry

remember a brown bess musket
was never meant to be a sporting piece though with practise it can be pretty accurate

Eterry said:
Thanks Dave, this thread is going straight to my favorites...I definitely will try the L bracket on my Bess Fowler that's in the works, and on my musketoon next time at the range.
There has to be a way to guesstimate where to drill the first hole...any ideas? :hmm:

Eterry

Normally in ML guns we take a high front sight and cut it down, so most suggested formulae don't work in guessing the height of the rear sight.

Here is a link to one that may help you: http://www.cleverinsite.com/ballistics/skinner.htm

Actually, I think the "L" Brackets are cheap enough you could Pre-drill some holes in the bracket (at different heights) and find out which one works best, THEN drill one hole in a second "L" Bracket that matches that height.

Gus

Last edited by a moderator:
Mick C said:
Ditto to Dave and Rifleman.
I'd think really hard and long about permanently altering a Brown Bess, especially if it is a Pedersoli or Navy Arms....Just my 2 cents, Mick C :thumbsup:

Thanks. But, it is yer gun, do wat ye want. I made modifications to mine right at git go. It doesn't have sling swivels and I took off the front sight/bayonet lug. That was replaced with a silver blade to suit me. I don't reenact the Continental so passing jury muster has, and never will be, a problem. If yer a charging Redcoat, ye won't know the difference. :wink:

I wonder if a guy could make the platform out of steel so it fits the contour of the barrel and so that it also accommodates the sight. then JB weld it to the barrel. that way you can try it or move it or get rid of it once you are tired of it. I would not make it permanent to start with.

Spud, I'm not trying to turn it into a 20 rod gun, just minute of whitetail at 50 yards and under will work. But I stink with a shotgun, no rear sight scares me!

Artificer, thanks, I'll probably go that way, I know the Marbles tang sight on my Remington model 8 has a pretty small appiture(sp), I'll try to emulate that.

Eterry

:thumbsup: if you want a rear sight make it out of brass and use a drop of super glue to hold it,when your done just tap it off.

Back