• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

REAL Bullet

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrfishnhunt

32 Cal
Reaction score
How do these perform on game animals? I am limited with my 1 in 60 twist on conical, but with these being short they just might work in my rifle. It is a 50 cal. Also is there a mold similar to the REAL that is hollow point? Thanks for the help

I can only provide a sample group of one on whitetail deer, but the 250 grain 50 cal out of a 1:48 twist punched a neat hole through the shoulder and out the last few ribs on the off side at 60 yards. Shot was quartering toward me. Piled up in 40 yards.

How do these perform on fame animals? I am limited with my 1 in 60 twist on conical, but with these being short they just might work in my rifle. It is a 50 cal. Also is there a mold similar to the REAL that is hollow point? Thanks for the help
You really need to try them for best results. Several years ago they came in four diameters for 50cal. So beware of which diameter you get, if buying them by the box.

They used to come available in molds for 250gr and 320gr. The lube you choose is equally important.

My old, standby load was 75gr Goex and good ol' fashioned 490gr roundball and prelubed 015 thick T/C pillow tickers..

Last edited:
Have not taken game (yet) with one, but was very impressed with their accuracy. I have shot them in a .54 Renegade and .50 Hawkin both over suitable diameter home made punched wads (Durafelt lubed with beeswax/Crisco). I also have .45 and .58 REAL molds but have not gotten around to shooting those sizes yet.

How do these perform on game animals? I am limited with my 1 in 60 twist on conical, but with these being short they just might work in my rifle. It is a 50 cal. Also is there a mold similar to the REAL that is hollow point? Thanks for the help
You need to give them a try. 250 grain would likely be the shortest, and you might want to put a wad between the bullet and the powder. You shouldn't worry about a hollow point. They're soft lead to be able to be swaged onto your rifling lands when loaded.

LD

Back