• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Reaction to flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't get any better !!!!
deer.jpg

Just this Saturday I was getting my gear together with my buddies, when one spotted my flintlock.

"Don't you know it's rifle season?"

I replied "This IS a rifle!" :rotf: :rotf:

Hey guys...just because there are a few slobs on the range is no reason to paint all shooters who like ARs and related rifles as jerks. I cut my teeth with muzzle loaders and still enjoy them as much or more than any of my other firearms but I also shoot ARs. I would agree that the folks Zonie and Spike Buck mentioned are not the type of folks I want to shoot with but please don't paint all shooters who are into something you don't care for with the same brush. Educate them, don't simply condemn them.

MacRob46 said:
Hey guys...just because there are a few slobs on the range is no reason to paint all shooters who like ARs and related rifles as jerks. Educate them, don't simply condemn them.

You are 100% correct. I have shared the range with any number of guys shooting modern firearms that were courteous and respectful of others shooting and the range/property. Some even showed great interest in my traditional gear and WANTED to learn more about it...teachable, let's say. The father and his boys that were there when I arrived were prime examples of good manners and respsect. They were shooting black guns too.

I'd also say that the vast majority of those showing some decency are an over-50 crowd. Sadly, the majority of the 20-30 year-old crowd I see there with the "black" guns probably should be required to have a brain scan to see if there's anything what-so-ever between their ears. Not all as I've run into several young men that showed respect and an interest in my guns...but it's rare.

My hunting land consist of a beautiful 150 acres that three of us maintain for deer hunting. We are Traditional Bow and Traditional Muzzleloader only. Why, because we like it that way.
So far it is percussion rifles but one of the three just ordered a flintlock and I am looking into one.

It is rifle season and when someone sees our weapons they are like why? We say because it is just so much fun.

Time was, when seven of us got together for an annual boat hunt. Picture a 50' floating cabin that moved from bay to bay to hunt new terrain each day, overnighting at anchor to process deer and eat well while waiting for the next day's hunting light. Days were short (5 hours of daylight) and deer limits were liberal at 7 per hunter.

Even after years of hunting with me, I'd get six guys snorting and laughing when I brought out my flinter. I'd hold my own on the good weather days simply because there were lots of deer and they were found both in open terrain and cover.

But let the weather turn sour. Sure, I had to walk the extra mile to keep the flinter shooting in the rain and gales. But all those deer in the open country moved into cover, where the other guys had a dickens of a time scoring. Meanwhile my score mounted quickly.

Always made me laugh when these guys would ask for help filling their tags. They'd "hunt" along behind me and move in to tag, dress and drag "their" deer once they heard me shoot. By the time those hunts ended I had three other guys packing muzzleloaders (all cappers) along with their modern rifles for the bad weather days when the deer moved into cover. Seems counter-intuitive to be reaching for muzzleloaders when the weather turned sour and the hunting got tough, but it was hard to argue with results.

As a side note, 7 hunters tagging 7 deer each adds up to a whole mountain of venison. It's a proven fact that you need at least 3 pickups stacked heaping full to haul them once you get back home! :applause:

I was in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, in October, 1992 attending the Midwest Fire Council (something like that) meeting, presenting two papers on Fire Behavior Prediction and prescribed fire in aspen sandhills at J.Clark Salyer NWR in North Dakota. The caribou season opened and the caribou were moving. The hunters would drive out from town and shoot them along the road. I think the limit was seven per hunter. You haven't lived until you've seen the legs of seven caribou sticking up out of a pickup bed!

:hmm: :hmm: I might be wrong, but I think you misunderstood his post. I think by saying "black plastic gun" he's referring to those 209 shotgun primer type "unmentionables."

Picture a 50' floating cabin that moved from bay to bay to hunt new terrain each day, overnighting at anchor to process deer and eat well while waiting for the next day's hunting light.

Sounds like Cooper's "Deerslayer" :hatsoff:

I think that was the Interior West Fire Ecology Conference. Can't find my proceedings. There were caribou hanging all over town in trees and garages.

I here ya I'm glade I have my own 100 yd rage on my property were I live,I get the same thing with my longbow ,they ask what you are going to do with that ,I tell them I don't need training wheels on my bow.Filled my buck tag with my stick ready to fill my doe tag with my flintlock .

I get many a puzzled look from folk when they see me with a flinter resting on my shoulder, I assume of course it is the flintlock that puzzles them :doh:

That aside, some of you westerners (from here) use bows on your elk!!

B.

Martin Greenhorn said:
:hmm: :hmm: I might be wrong, but I think you misunderstood his post. I think by saying "black plastic gun" he's referring to those 209 shotgun primer type "unmentionables."

No, I don't think I misunderstood it at all.

Sean Gadhar said:
I have walked my hunting partner through this 4-5 times and I have hunted with him twice when I carried a percussion .50 cal. .....but I would bet money when he shows up his 300 Weatherby will "just happen" to be under the seat in his truck in case I come to my senses. :haha:

I leave today ...he called me night before last. "Your taking another gun right?" "What if" "What if" "Please bring a back up gun" Just to appease him I'm bringing a backup rifle..... my wife's .54 percussion :rotf: He never said WHAT gun to bring.

Wish me a nearsighted bull with a stuffy nose :)

Luck to anyone else hunting this week.

Back