• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Re-Model

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here are a few pics of a muzzleloader that I just re-finished, I posted pics of the original job and recieved mixed reviews. I took this gun to Oregon Gunmakers Fair and confirmed what I knew, finish needed help and a patchbox was needed. By the way I recieved solid critique at the Fair.
IMG_0219.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

Here is a shot before the re-model
IMG_0139.jpg

Now that redo rifle really shines, it truly does. I like the engraving. Real nice work! It never hurts to refinish a rifle if you don't like what you did. It just gives you more experience for the next time around. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Wooooow! Huge difference :wink:. I'm curious to know the differences between the first and second finishes. Bill

What were the "before" and "after" stains and the "after" stain sure did make a huge difference. The new stain makes the LR look substantial whereas the "before" stain made it look kinda wimpy. Nice work!......Fred

That is a very nice looking gun, I would suggest that you do not make a note in your notebook that these guns have to have patchboxes, it was common but not a requirement, it does look good on this gun.

Thanks for all of the generous comments, stain used is LMF. The first was Lancaster Honey Maple, the second was Nut Brown. The main difference was in the way that the stock was prepped during the staining process as well as the finish application.
The first time the stain was applied and sealer as well as finish all LMF, the second time there was considerable time spent hand rubbing the stain, sealer etc, Still all LMF.

:bow: Great job on the re-finish. IMHO The darker looks 100% better. And that patch box is the bomb. Great job on the engraving.
How did you remove the old finish? :confused: I have a Virginia that I built last year, and it is a little blonde for my taste. I would like to re-finish mine with Aqua Fortis, or Chromium Trioxide to bring out more of the curl, but not sure how to get the ten hand rubbed coats of Tru Oil off the stock with out losing alot of the relief carving.

I used an off the shelf stripper with 0000 steel wool and water, once dried I was able to use a combination of sandpaper and scrapers (for the carving) to get the remaining residue removed, I would not reccomend the process as it is tedious. :surrender: I needed the experience and hope to not have to do it again :nono:

Great job, outta blow there socks off now. :thumbsup:
Have you got a better pic of the carving? What I can see off it looks fantastic!

Thanks for the info. I think I am going to try it. I already have 250 hours in the build and finish, so I guess another 20 to 30 will not hurt. I can handle the tedious stuff!

very nice job, and thanks for the before and after pics.

Engraving looks very good to me. In my limited experience studying that type of work, it seems to capture the style very well.

Tom

Back