• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Re-browning help?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mastadonald

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello all. I was wondering if anyone knew were I could get a barrel and lock re-browned? Its from my dads old CVA mountain rifle and for sentimental reasons (pass it on to my daughter) I'd like to get it spruced up but don't have the time or more importantly, the ability, to do it. Any ideas? I live in ND.

Naval jelly to remove old browning, sand lightly, LMF browning solution is almost fool proof and requires little effort on your part.

I can't speak for the time you have, but you DO have the ability to brown the barrel. After all, it's just a form of rust and if you use Laurel Mountain's browning solution and have a humid room (like a bathroom after a shower) the rust will form by itself.

It does take several applications of the solution and a day or so between applications but if you have a piece of course denum (like some old bluejeans) to rub the loose rust off (between applications) you'll have what you want, plus the pride of knowing that you did it yourself.

Use the search engine at the top of the page and you'll find out how easy it can be. :)

zonie :)

The folks are right about Laurel Mountain Forge browning solution. It's cheap and easy and gives a great finish. If you send it out to have it done, it's going to cost a lot more and take a good amount of time to get it back.

I just finished browning my first barrel with the Laurel Mountain Forge solution and it was not hard at all. It just took about a week to do. If you dont like the results the brown comes off with steel wool and elbow grease and you can start over.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

I agree, give it a try and you will see how easy it really is. I have posted a very extensive set of intructions several times. So if you search for browning or posts using my screen name you should find them.

Good luck and have fun.

Back