• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

RCA 103 (the brass barreled rifle)?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try a Google search, there has to be a ton of information out there. Wallace Gusler thinks it's from Virginia, of course. It has had the barrel stretched at Williamsburg.

It’s in Rifles of Colonial America by Shumway. Volume 2 I believe, but you knew that already. Wallace Gusler wrote about it in Muzzle blasts articles. There’s a gun that is similar too. Then a bunch of later rifles that may share some DNA but are far less interesting to me. All are unsigned and none are dated. What is it you want to know, specifically?

It’s in Rifles of Colonial America by Shumway. Volume 2 I believe, but you knew that already. Wallace Gusler wrote about it in Muzzle blasts articles. There’s a gun that is similar too. Then a bunch of later rifles that may share some DNA but are far less interesting to me. All are unsigned and none are dated. What is it you want to know, specifically?
The geographic origin of the rifle is mainly what I am interested in.

I know Mr. Gusler places the gun in Virginia howevr It looks to me like a gun of Pennsylvania or North Carolina origin. There have been some stories I have heard lately (granted I have never seen the sources for the these stories) that the rifle was in Charlotte Nc before beinv bought and taken to Florida where it was found by Shumway. Just curious on what everyone eles thinks.

I have handled this gun several times and I honestly couldn't guess where it's from. It's very heavily Germanic. I'd say who ever made it was trained in Europe. I got the hint of a possible Swedish influence to it when I had it in hand, but who knows.

I have handled this gun several times and I honestly couldn't guess where it's from. It's very heavily Germanic. I'd say who ever made it was trained in Europe. I got the hint of a possible Swedish influence to it when I had it in hand, but who knows.

Is the gun in a musem now or a private collection

Wallace proposed it was the predecessor of a series of later rifles he called “the step toe” group which are more strongly attributed to Virginia. Lots of mysteries out there still. Unsigned guns!

Back