• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

rawhide wraps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasontn

40 Cal.
Reaction score
anyone have any pictures of rawhide wraps on tommahawks and rifle stocks? going to build a kentucky rifle with a 2 piece stok and want some new ideas for the wrap on the fore end. i did one when in high school but now i have a lot better rawhide. thinking of making a western styled used trade gun look. also on the hawk wraps do you see more with the wrap at the head end or down near the end of the handle? i got one today with a drill out near the mouthpiece and want to cover the repair with rawhide. i got it, made by windlass steel crafts, 2 re davis english heads, 3 premium curly maple handles all drilled, another TOW head and handle, browning agent, aqua fortis, pewter in pellet and a pound block, plus some silver inlays for 100.00. so ill be making hawks for a while something i have always wanted to do. id like to use the one with the drill out to go with the plains rifle. give them both a well used look.
thanks jason

Jason, I have seen the rawhide wrapped and sewn solution for such when people thinning down forestock break into RR hole & etc, have no pics, but appears it would be a staright forward task.

I get my rawhide from Wal-Mart in the pet dept and buy the largest rawhide doggie chews. Soak over night in water, (I weight mine down to submerge) unwind the chew and cut rawhide to suit.

thats what i want to make mine look like. i got some wally world chews and i have some really good deer rawhide too.

how would a person seal such a wrap good? i have rubbed bees wax on the knives i have it seems to work ok

I used pure tung oil to treat rawhide snap on cow's knee lock cover, but am sure there are many other methods.

get my rawhide from wal mart too. The first time I bought some my wife looked at me and said we don't have a dog. Now she don't even ask when I buy something for my muzzle loading kit

Here's just a few examples of originals...
peacemakers-pg-0152-leman.jpg

peacemakers-pg-011-bess.jpg

leman-trio.jpg

FWIW: I recommend sewing the rahide on rather than wrapping it - not only was sewing much more widely used on the many originals I've examined, but it will stay in place much better. I prefer to use deer, elk, or antelope rawhide rather than cow, thinner and easier to work with than cow. Sources -[url] www.hideandfur.com[/url] or[url] www.eidnesfurs.com[/url]
To seal - spar varnish was used by "whites" in period as was linseed oil based varnishes - the closet thing to the latter available today is Tried & True's Oil Varnish[url] http://www.triedandtruewoodfinish.com/varnish.htm[/url]
to make the T & T even closer to the original add lead dryer,[url] http://store.studioproducts.com/product.php?productid=16153&cat=252&page=1[/url]
and thickened pure gum turpentine which is available from most online art supply stores - you can use the regular gum turpentine from hardware stores but the thickened variety works better.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks gray wolf. the top picture you posted is what im wanting to do. do plan on sewing it on, i have done some knive and thought itd be fun to make a plains rifle with some on it. thanks for the pics and links. im going to post some pics later of a couple knife handles i have just wrapped. i call it a wrap, even tho its sewn on cause i dont know the proper term for it.

Back