• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Range Rod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Russell Kvistad said:
Sorry, but no way could someone PAY me to use a range rod with a round handle on it! I once had one with a cue ball on the end and propped up my custom made Southern Mountain flintlock against a tree while it was still in the bore. Five seconds later I heard something hit the ground. It literally rolled right off the tree trunk, snapped clean through the wrist - broken curley maple stock! What an expensive lesson that was. :cursing: The ones I use now have deer antlers for handles installed in a "T" fashion.
Man, that's a terrible price to pay for a tiny mental slip.
All my range rods have 2" round balls on them and I wouldn't have them any other way...the only place I use them is at my range and the rod handle is never leaning against anything...but I appreciate you mentioning it...might save me (+others) from an accident like you had if shooting at a different place some day.

Pitchypine...is that rifle stand commercially available?
Rubber coated, etc?
Website?

Made it myself, used half inch rod and latter added leather to protect the rifle.

rifestandleathers.jpg

The rod, or wiping stick, I use depends upon where I am shooting.
For practice and all-day competition on the off-hand line, I use a military surplus, 50 cal machine gun clean rod that has been cut to fit and tapped for the 10-32 jag. The weight helps make a long day of shooting much easier. And, of course, I use a centering collar. The 'T' shaped handle helps when a patch may 'get stuck' or when I need to pull a ball. I place the handle in the over-head framing of the covered range or in a high limb (always in a safe direction) and use my ample weight to help pull the ball. This started before the common use of the CO2 dischargers and is only done when shooting alone on the range.
When I shooting on a primitive range or a woodswalk, I use a brass rod that has replaced the hickory one underneath. After a period of time the brass takes on the look of a wooden rod and it takes a close inspection to tell the difference. I suppose the most expect the rod to be wood, so that is what they see.

mine is solid brass and I love it...it's tapped on both ends for different threads..the two most common...I usually keep a jag on one end and a t handle on the other...I had sort of a ball on it for a while and then I had a spat of dryballin so I kept the t handle on it...I love it....I use a Zep chrome cleaner on it after much use so it shines like gold up on the rack in between shoots

I have a WWII vintage brass cleaning rod, three pieces threaded together. Handle on one end, takes 10-32 thread on the other. Gonna give it a try this weekend.
Scott

as per the suggestion of one of the guys above, I picked up a Walmart .50 cleaning kit (on clearance sale now). It has a heavy 3 piece brass rod. I replaced the aluminum handle with deer antler. Works great! Thanks
bramble

I keep one of those 3 piece jobs in my range box for emergency stuff. (like forgetting my good range rod when I go to the range :cursing: ) Well, I actually bought 2 of the 3 piece rods, as one was not long enough for a longrifle, so I bought 2 sets & made mine a 4 piece then gave the other 2 extra sections to 2 other guys to add to their backup range rods to make theirs long enough.

Normally I use a 3/8" brass range rod with a T handle most of the time & it came from Log Cabin. Cost ? $15 I think & picked it up at Friendship. I also have several 5/16" SS range rods with deer antler handles on them. Got them from Eddie May in Georgia, they come with a deer antler handle, bore guide & jag of your choice & cost $20. and are all drilled 8-32. I drilled & retapped one of mine to 10/32. These are 5/16 rods & very stout, good deal for the $.
If you are at a match & see a lil short feller with a rifle about a foot longer than he is tall ? that is Eddie May. He makes bullets by the thousands & sells them to Dixie, Tracks, Log Cabin, etc. He is a guy you need to know as he cah save ya a small fortune on bullets. He will bring them to ya at the matches & save ya the shipping, plus cheaper than the big venders are. He is a real nice guy to deal with & a pretty dang good shot too !

:thumbsup:

I have brass range rods with antler handles in every cal. and length and used to haul them around
to competitions but since I have brass ramrods in all my guns I now just carry a T-handle and bore guide in my bag, screw it on my ramrod and presto
a range rod, also very handy if you ever need to pull a bullet or whatever.

Back