• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Range report, new pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john s mosby

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, the weather man was a bit off, he said 32 degrees and no wind, it's 22 and windy but I made it to the range for my first time with the Bondini pistol.
I fired it 5 or 6 times getting used to the feel. The trigger is nice and crisp, I didn't adjust the set trigger, it seemed pretty good as it was.
I used 25 grains of 3F, a .010 patch, CCI number 11 magnum caps and a 440 ball.
The distance was about 12 or 15 yards fired from the bench. I then fired 3 shots and got this group.
I can see one thing right away, I need to work on the sights. All my guns have a square notch rear sight and a wide (.096) front sight. The pistol has a shallow V notch rear sight and a skinny (.038) front sight, making it hard to see, at least for me.
229193902.jpg

THat is a fine group!Plus the polishing on the barrel is top notch!Fine lookng pistol!

Looks to me like you're doing fine with those sights . I like a V-notch (but not a shallow one) and a thin , but not too thin front sight . I can center my front sight more precisely in a V-notch and a thin front sight doesn't obscure as much of my target as a thick blade , but this is just my personal preference , I'm not trying to say that it's the only way to go . That's a mighty fine group you shot , John :hatsoff: . I'd say that pistol is a keeper and it sure is pretty , too ! :thumbsup:

Looks like a good shootin' gun. Nice looking too. You might try regular caps to see if they perform better for you. I've always had problems with magnums widening my groups. She might put them through one hole with regulars! :)

Thanks for the kind words on my pistol.
I could only afford one nice target pistol so I've been saving my money and looking for a good while to find the one that said, "Hay, take me home". You know what I mean, you see it laying on a dealers table from 20 feet away and know you have to have it. You just hope when you get close enough to see the price you have that much money in your pocket.
I lucked out, the guy had it for several years and offered me a good deal. I couldn't get my money out fast enough.
As I said I do like the square notch rear sight with a wider front sight so I'll have a wider blade put in the front sight base and open the rear up to a square notch.
I want to try some other powder charges but it was just too cold today. The .010 patch and 440 ball was a bit tight to start but went down okay.

I didn't know magnum caps could open your group up. I have some standard no. 11 caps, I'll try them next time.

much as I like the sights on my Lyman Plains pistol and Lepage target, I believe yours are more authentic

The sights will look the same, at least from the side anyway. The rear will stay the same, only have a square notch instead of a V, the front will have the same base and look the same just a thicker blade.
All I need now is a nice warm sunny day.

Back