• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Range Report: Colt Walker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulmarcone

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I got out to the range today for some fun with my Uberti Colt Walker. It had been in the shop with a broken main spring, so this was the first time I shot this gun since the fall.

I fired 36 shots, all from 25 yards, standing, two-handed.

Load was 42 to 45 grains of Goex 3FG, wonder wad and a .457 Hornady round ball.

Any variations in groups were due mainly to my changing the point of aim a couple of times.

The only problem was that, despite a little shot of Ballistol on the arbor after loading, she bound up really tight by the sixth shot. I had to break her down every time, wipe the pin, spray liberally with Ballistol. This, even with the wedge not even protruding.

The gun is still fairly new, so maybe I need to cycle it in a bit more.

The gun is a hoot to shoot!

Here's the target:

Link

A good way to judge your target is to ask yourself a simple question. Would you want someone with your skills and that revolver shooting at you? If the answer is H--- NO!, then you have what I would consider a very fine target, the product of a very fine day. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Looks like we have another Contestant for the Dragoon & Walker Target Shoot the Jethro is supposed to announce soon!

Nice Shooting!

Dave

very nice shootin there. :thumbsup:
next time you go out try packing some crisco on top the ball after loading. it may help with the fouling.

PaulTheWall said:
The only problem was that, despite a little shot of Ballistol on the arbor after loading, she bound up really tight by the sixth shot. I had to break her down every time, wipe the pin, spray liberally with Ballistol. This, even with the wedge not even protruding.

You might care to try doing what Colt actually suggest in the instructions, and lube the base pin with a good mineral-based grease rather than a gun-cleaner.

My buddy and I shot 120 ball this afternoon and evening in MY Walker, and only wiped it down externally after each cylinder-load.

tac
Supporter of the Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund

Nice Target ! Smear some auto anti-seize grease on your arbor...it will illiminate any problems...you can get it any auto store...
well worth $2.50 or so. !

PaulTheWall said:
Here's the target:

Link
:wink:

4834924694_695700d151.jpg

All my other revolvers shoot all day with just a little Ballistol on the arbor.

I tried Crisco and then Bore Butter. Same result.

"A good way to judge your target is to ask yourself a simple question. Would you want someone with your skills and that revolver shooting at you? If the answer is H--- NO!, then you have what I would consider a very fine target, the product of a very fine day."

Ya know I've been involved in shooting for a long time now and that is absolutely the BEST analogy I've ever heard! Mind if I borrow it from time to time?

:hatsoff: :thumbsup:

Celt, be my guest. I have done an awful lot of shooting in my life also. I have put a lot of thought into that response, and have used it countless times. A couple more times won't hurt a bit. I have a few more... :thumbsup:

Ditto on the grease. I have had no binding problems with my Walker. I use a gun grease I found in an Army surplus store and apply liberally to the spindle. I suspect what happens in the grease is thick enough to keep the fouling from working its way back between the cylinder and spindle.

Both crisco and bore butter melt out pretty fast that is why you need to use a high temp grease. Others have been mentioned above, another one I have heard of giving good results is water pump grease. That heavier load in the walker also produces more fouling, that may account for your other revolvers being ok with ballistol.

All of those grooves on the cylinder arbor were put there by Colt to hold grease.
The intent was that the grease would keep the fouling out of the bearing area so the cylinder wouldn't lock up.

IMO, while Balistol may be good for something, filling grease grooves is not one of the things it does well.

Zonie said:
All of those grooves on the cylinder arbor were put there by Colt to hold grease.
The intent was that the grease would keep the fouling out of the bearing area so the cylinder wouldn't lock up.

IMO, while Balistol may be good for something, filling grease grooves is not one of the things it does well.

Well, I had to go to the auto parts store today to replace a windshield wiper and picked up some anti-seize grease.

I went home and put some on the arbor of my Walker -- the stuff is like grey toothpaste. I worked a little into the grooves and some on the whole pin, put the cylinder back in and wiped off the excess.

Now I have a good excuse to get back out to range over the next couple of days!!

Will report back.

Thanks for all the helpful tips. :thumbsup:

Anti -seize ! Great stuff! Now yer good to Go!
its not historically correct but I bet Sam Colt would have advised using it if it were available back in the day...

Well, I got out to the range for a little bit early this morning. I shot my Navy Sheriff and the Colt Walker. I put the anti-seize on the arbors of both guns.

On the Navy Sheriff I shot 24 shots and never had to lube or spray with Ballistol. Cylinder spun freely and nicely the whole way through!

On the Walker, I only shot 18 shots but she only binded up on the very last shot, and, even then, just a little.

So, the stuff works!!

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back