• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ramrod pipes - one pin or two

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guncobbler

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm finishing up my ERA 11 gauge colonial fowler and have inlet the first ramrod pipe near the muzzle. The pipe is one made of sheet metal bent in a circle with a full length tab. The pipe is long enough to accomodate two pins but I don't know if that would be overkill or just too busy. What would you recommend? If you would use only one pin would you trim the full lenght tab so that only 1/2 inch or so needs to be inlet into the stock web between the ramrod groove and the barrel channel?

Started finish sanding the stock with 150 grit paper. Switched to 240 and instantly saw where I had missed with the 150. Can easily see where I got over enthusiastic with the mill bastard file. Go back to 150 and clean up the missed spots and then back to 240. Really shouldn't have started sanding til I got all the pipes in. Now I have to handle the stock with kid gloves so I don't put any more dings in it. Nothing like 240 paper to expose all your dents and scratches.

Thanks, GC

If it allows for it I always double pin the first (or closest to the muzzle) ramrod pipe. I just feel it gets a bit more wear and tear than the other ones. :thumbsup:

First they should have already been installed before you start with final shape and sanding/scraping. I agree with Roy, and would also add that the stock entry pipe also should have two. I use oversize pins(lengthwise) about 2 1/2" long with a bend on the end to facilitate removal and reinstall. I cut them to size on the final fit. You need to taper the end to make it less likely to tear out any wood. As with your barrel tenons they should be slotted slightly to allow for wood swell. Good luck, and Happy Holidays.
Bill

If your forearm is shaped now, it will be difficult to get the two pins lined up on both sides, horizontally and vertically. Not to say it can't be done but you will have your work cut out for you. Its lots easer to do when the forearm is square.
Jeff

Whether I make or buy the pipes, the mounting tabs are only 3/8", central on the 2 forward and favoring the extension on the entry. Don't like a long slot in the web. Have never used 2 pins and if the inlet is proper only one is needed. To drill the holes on a shaped fore end, I clamp the bbl in a vise w/ the top flat against the permanent jaw and chisel a small flat at the hole location so the drill doesn't skate downhill...Fred

I personally prefer to use two pins on each rod pipe (and with certain "schools" this is the proper way to do it). Definitely no need to slot the holes here as with the barrel tenons.

If the fore end is already rounded off, carefully mark the desired positions for all the pins on both sides of the stock and spot them with a center punch to keep the bit from walking off. Using a very undersized bit (and a HAND held drill), drill halfway through from one side, making sure the hole is where it needs to be, then drill through from the other side, meeting in the middle. You can then straighten the hole as neccessary with progressively larger drill bits until straight. Then, put in your rod pipe and clamp it in tight and drill through it carefully. Take it out and make sure the holes are where they are supposed to be and then replace it and you can then drill through with your full size drill bit and fit your pins.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Always appreciate learning a few things before I put the drill in the wood and learn the hard way. GC

Back