• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ram rod wear on barrel.................

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Judging from the number of rifles that have been brought into my shop to have the barrels cut back
because the muzzles were worn out I'd have to say
yes it does happen and the softer the ramrod material the worse it is for wearing on the muzzle. Steel is the least wearing. What makes me cringe is the shooters that fling the ramrod down the barrel about 8 or 10 times after they seat the ball, saying that when seated properly that it will bounce about 1/2 way out. I use brass rods and always with a muzzle guide.
Look at the front sight on the old guns, they were set back several inches from the muzzle so they wouldn't have to be moved when the barrel was cut off. I'm sure someone will disagree with that statement but that's what I've always been told.

Deadeye said:
What makes me cringe is the shooters that fling the ramrod down the barrel about 8 or 10 times after they seat the ball, saying that when seated properly that it will bounce about 1/2 way out.
I hear ya...some old wives tales die hard...and this hobby of muzzleloading sure has it's share.
:thumbsup:

the only way to truly combat muzzle wear is to own so many rifles you will never truly have the time to shoot all of them enough to wear out the barrel
:rotf: :rotf:

Back